Fiberglass repair on 1984 Hunter 31

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Hi all,

I have removed some instruments that were installed in the face of the starboard cockpit seat. Now I have 3 holes (2" round, 3" square, 4" square) that I need to patch.

I am thinking that I can cut some 1/2" marine ply to fill the void and then fiberglass over the holes and apply a coat of gelcoat afterwards to finish it. (Or paint the cockpit)

What would people recommend for fiberglass, should I use Mat or the weaved cloth? My intent is to grind out around the cut outs and insert the marine ply filler, then use several pieces of cloth/mat to fill the space and build up the glass to a reasonable thickness, strength, smoothness.

This will be my first fiberglass job but I intend on doing some other repairs as well in the future so I thought this might be an easy(ish) job.

Thanks as always!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Also consider just putting a rectangle of either starboard or g10, one piece covering all holes, over it Bevel the edges and round the corners to make it look better

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Good video. I have watched quite a few of his videos. I kind of forgot about them, so thanks for posting.

As for Starboard that could work as well instead of using marine ply.

I ordered the glass, and stuff, so once I get one of the patches done I'll post some comments.

Thanks for the feed back.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pictures Shawne pictures. They are worth a thousand words.