fault flashing on zantex tru charge 20

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
fault flashing on Xantrex tru charge 20

Finally got possession of the boat (1988 C-34) Looking around inside and notice fault blinking on charger, also LED for charging is lit at 20. I know PO set it up 3 days pryer to closing. Got a little nervous ,grabbed the multi meter and started checking voltages, all batteries were over 15 v I shut off charger and went to look for help.
My boat neighbor looked at the set up and and made these observations:

The chargers three legs all went to different batteries which is good but there's a West Marine 70/2 combiner also hooked up. He showed me his and all three leads go the house bank and the combiner charges the reserve. advised me to disconnect the combiner for starters and if charger works correctly to switch to a system like his an see. PO clames he ran all last year with no trouble?

Any ideas?
Thanks
Bob Also on a different note where is best place to buy gaskets for Lewmar ports?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Finally got possession of the boat (1988 C-34) Looking around inside and notice fault blinking on charger, also LED for charging is lit at 20. I know PO set it up 3 days pryer to closing. Got a little nervous ,grabbed the multi meter and started checking voltages, all batteries were over 15 v I shut off charger and went to look for help.

The chargers three legs all went to different batteries which is good but there's a West Marine 70/2 combiner also hooked up. He showed me his and all three leads go the house bank and the combiner charges the reserve. advised me to disconnect the combiner for starters and if charger works correctly to switch to a system like his an see. PO clames he ran all last year with no trouble?

Any ideas?
Thanks
Bob Also on a different note where is best place to buy gaskets for Lewmar ports?
lewmar gaskets .... get your lewmar gaskets here in SBO store...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

Any ideas?
Thanks
Assuming the wiring is correct and good it sounds like a dead Xantrex charger, improper programming or possibly a bad temp sensor. If it has a temp sensor installed, unplug to test.. The combiner has nothing to do with the charger putting out 15V.....

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Re: fault flashing on Xantrex tru charge 20

Thanks, I'll have to dig into it and see how it's connected maybe give Xantex a call.

Thanks again

Bob

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bob, Xantrex is most likely not going to be of any help. Unfortunately, but that's how it works in the electronics industry, except for a few, uhm, exceptions.

Maine Sail, who you'll learn is our resident electrical and electronics expert, is right. You need to learn what you should be seeing, what a combiner is, and how to tell if what your neighbor is telling you is correct or not.

If you don't have a manual for the charger, you can download one. The combiner manual is also available online (Google "Yandina" who made them for West Marine).

You may also want to become familiar with our C34 website and forum, which contains a lot of specific to C34s information, to help you avoid reinventing the wheel. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/board,11.0.html

Congratulations on your new boat.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
My guess is the fault is the "over charging" alert, most likely caused by worn batteries.

In theory, as the batteries reach > 14.5, the charging current should taper off to almost zero. If the xantrex senses high voltage with still a high load, it might trigger the fault.

Is one battery hot/warm? If one battery has a dead cell, it might cause this. Maybe disconnect one battery at a time? Also, you can set the xantrex to default charging, which I think is 14.3 volts.

My 2 cents [grin].

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Sounds like it is stuck in equalize mode. Usually, removing AC power for a few seconds will make it go out of equalize. If not, there should be a push button switch that will take it out of equalize mode. On my TC 40, the switch is on the front panel and takes a nail or sharp object to push it.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Sounds like it is stuck in equalize mode. Usually, removing AC power for a few seconds will make it go out of equalize. If not, there should be a push button switch that will take it out of equalize mode. On my TC 40, the switch is on the front panel and takes a nail or sharp object to push it.
Xantrex manual: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom458(445-0193-01-01_rev-2).pdf

Says that equalize mode (in theory) is timed for 8 hours, or can be interrupted by removing AC power.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Looking at the manual more (I'm also learning stuff here) it says that if you don't have a temperature sensor on your battery (like me), then the default setting is 70F:

voltages: accept, float
Type0 (wet): 70F 14.4, 13.5
Type1 (gel1): 70F 14.1, 13.6
Type2 (gel2): 70F 14.4, 13.8
Type3 (agm): 70F 14.3, 13.3

However, if you do have a temp sensor, the numbers are different, and the magic 15V shows up:

Type0 (wet): 40F 15.0, 14.1 **** HERE ****
Type1 (gel1): 40F 14.6, 14.1
Type2 (gel2): 40F 14.7, 14.1
Type3 (agm): 40F 14.6, 13.6

Is it possible that he has a malfunctioning temperature sensor, which is stuck thinking that the batteries are COLD (40F), so it is charging at 15V? What if the temperature sensor is on a good battery, where another battery is hot due to a dead cell?

Maybe try to unplug the temperature probe?

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee

Thanks guys, all good advice, I am learning as much as I can from manuals, also got through to a techy at Xantrex. He suggested first disconnect all ac & dc power, ( this resets the unit and allows you to reprogram charger) ck. batteries (1yr old and holding 14+ volts after 5 days) install one bank and ck charger, if OK add third battery and ck again if this doesn't do it there is a problem, just send proof of purchase and he will replace free. His feeling is it is a bad connection at one or more of the terminals? I will post results.

Thanks

Bob

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee

OK after removing batteries, tracing all the wires, here's what I found, loose and very corroded terminals also found charger #1 bank wire hooked to back up battery, #2 bank wire hooked to house bank. I don't know if these wires are proprietary but did connect them to assigned banks. Cleaned up all terminals and VOILA charger works fine. I did not connect combiner yet, wondering if it should be connected to current set up or as some suggested Just run charger to house bank and let combiner take care of backup battery.

Thanks again

Bob

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
let the combiner do the work and run all your charger leads to the house bank ...thats the one that you use the most power from so put back as much power as you can in that bank and the combiner will take care of the reserve bank if it needs anything

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Thanks Woody, Thats what my boat neighbor suggested as well since the alternator will also be hooked up to house bank.

Bob