Facebook issues

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Any of you who are active on Facebook, are you having issues? When I log in to FB it tells me that I need to add friends to see posting. Even though I have 109 friends, it still thinks I am a new user. Also, if I do get lucky to see some postings, if I refresh I get the notification I need to add friends.

Next issue is only getting one post that is considered Most Current. If I close FB and reopen, either I get the Add Friends, or another post, but the previous one is gone.

Lastly, if I change views from Most Recent to Top Stories, or the other way around, FB gives me the Add Friends.

I checked websites that check to see if there are issues with other sites. Many have posted that they are having the same issues I am. But then some are having no issues at all.

Strange. Anyone else having issues?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I see the same thing, Brian. Just one more reason to hate Facebook. I close it and comeback later. Sometimes I can see posts, sometimes I can’t. The only posts I really look at pertain to the Apollo program and the LEGO Saturn V. I follow a couple of sailing threads but don’t pay them much attention. I’m Facebook friends with my children but don’t follow them.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks Kermit. I want to hate Facebook but that would be hate speech and I would have to ban myself.

Having gone to school in Iran, I maintain contact via email and FB. Just recently I found the family of a school friend who died in 2000. I found them on FB, so I kind of need FB. I guess someone in FB land put a : instead of a ; in the code. And they get paid the big bucks. LOL

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Having gone to school in Iran,
I worked there from 75 to 78 in Tehran. We have something else in common beyond sailing!
Although I did just finally close my FB account, it took them a month to formally do it.
I like it here better, but I understand using it when there is a good need for it.
Hope it clears up for you and you can stay in contact.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I’ll try to refrain from revealing my feelings about Facebook in the future. However, I think the term “social media” is a misnomer. It’s more of an anti-social media. I see people in restaurants looking at their phones instead of the people they’re with. I’m guilty of that at home at times. But never at restaurants. But I digress...

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Stu... I left in '74. I was there from '70 to '74. All in Teheran. Tried to get back there in '76 as a Marine Security Guard but State Department said no. They were impressed by my knowledge of the city and ability to speak simple Farsi, but they were concerned because I still have friends and family there. Oh well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am also experiencing problems with Facebook. It is a different problem, but seems to also be a common one.
We are trying to use it to promote Linda's and my wooden sign chicken and woodburning art. We joined a number of local groups for chickens and RV/Camping groups after getting their administrator's permission to advertise our signs and art on their group sites. We posted a new sign in each group once a week. Lots of likes, etc., no complaints. Then, on the third week, we were locked out from posting to any groups. We got a message that our posting privileges were temporarily suspended for two weeks. We waited and were able to post again. However, after the next post, we were locked out again.
Nobody is home at Facebook. We carefully read and read their terms of use and nothing we have done was counter to their rules. No one complained, all groups were pre-approved in emails and all group are used primarily for the buying, selling and trading of related stuff.
The forums are filled with similar stories.

-Will (Dragonfly)

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
I’ll try to refrain from revealing my feelings about Facebook in the future. However, I think the term “social media” is a misnomer. It’s more of an anti-social media. I see people in restaurants looking at their phones instead of the people they’re with. I’m guilty of that at home at times. But never at restaurants. But I digress...
This reminded me of a recent experience we had in the BVI, we were @ Marina Cay having an adult beverage,or two, my wife and I were enjoying each others company and this group of 3-4 couples sit down at a table next to us. They sat there for as long as we were, all of them looking at there phones! The crazy thing was that they were all 60+ and while we sat there and enjoyed our environment these people never stopped looking at their devices.......yikes. Anti social is right!!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
This reminded me of a recent experience we had in the BVI, we were @ Marina Cay having an adult beverage,or two, my wife and I were enjoying each others company and this group of 3-4 couples sit down at a table next to us. They sat there for as long as we were, all of them looking at there phones! The crazy thing was that they were all 60+ and while we sat there and enjoyed our environment these people never stopped looking at their devices.......yikes. Anti social is right!!
Exactly!

Feb 17, 2006
Well it appears to be fixed. "Appears" being the operative word.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
In a similar vein, it seems that people seem to travel to complete some type of check list.
Once they get to a place, they take a photos and move on. Completely ignoring the actual environment.
Photo of building that is in 1 million photos ? Check.

For example, when at Angkor Wat 5 or 6 years ago, we saw a lot of people walking along with iPad/tablets held in front them much of the time. Their eyes effectively never saw the things they took photos of. They were looking at a screen showing what the cameras saw...
None if them actually experienced the place....

We shook our heads a lot.
In contrast..
My wife and I took a tuktuk out of the Siem Reap, watching the world happen as we moved along relatively slowly. We arrived at much less visited temple complex, and spent much of the time absorbing the place. I even ended up playing a local version of hopscotch with a bunch of kids who had the luxury of having the temple as their neighbourhood playground under the gaze of statues of history.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
In a similar vein, it seems that people seem to travel to complete some type of check list.
Once they get to a place, they take a photos and move on. Completely ignoring the actual environment.
Photo of building that is in 1 million photos ? Check.

For example, when at Angkor Wat 5 or 6 years ago, we saw a lot of people walking along with iPad/tablets held in front them much of the time. Their eyes effectively never saw the things they took photos of. They were looking at a screen showing what the cameras saw...
None if them actually experienced the place....

We shook our heads a lot.
In contrast..
My wife and I took a tuktuk out of the Siem Reap, watching the world happen as we moved along relatively slowly. We arrived at much less visited temple complex, and spent much of the time absorbing the place. I even ended up playing a local version of hopscotch with a bunch of kids who had the luxury of having the temple as their neighbourhood playground under the gaze of statues of history.
There was a news piece on that very subject. It showed people taking selfies with the winner crossing the finish line of the Boston Marathon. They didn’t actually see it.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Oh, during the total solar eclipse I took a selfie of everyone in my backyard right after the beginning of totality. I spent a bunch of time the night before balancing the flash with what I could only guess would be the brightness of the sky and corona. I used a radio trigger with the camera on a tripod and took two exposures quickly. Didn’t even look at the camera until the sky was bright again. The rest of the two minutes we spent enjoying the eclipse for what it was. I’m glad I have the pictures but even happier about the experience.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wasn't that Suckerburg guy up in front of Congress explaining why he wants the government to give him a regulation so that he cannot be blamed for the problems with Facebook and the upcoming election. Maybe someone forgot to turnout it on again as the Congress was with out Facebook during the discussion. Heard they turned it off so the Representatives would pay attention to his words...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Wasn't that Suckerburg guy up in front of Congress explaining why he wants the government to give him a regulation so that he cannot be blamed for the problems with Facebook and the upcoming election.
I honestly think his motivation is because he is getting a lot of pressure to regulate Facebook and he doesn't want some unregulated copycat stealing his users because they are easier to use. Of course, it's also nice to have something out of your hands to blame your problems on. The government is a great scapegoat, just like the weather and big business. Nobody gets hurt; it's virtually a victimless crime to blame them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
Outside of several stints in FB jail for posting <ahem>"things"<ahem>:rolleyes:, I have never really had issues with the site. It can be a PITA at times, especially when they decide to modify the site and royally mess things up in mid-post.