Extend Furling Foil

Feb 27, 2018
Oday 272 LE Fairhope Pier
I need to replace my furling jib and located and purchased a used sail in great condition. However, I should have measured the furling foil length before ordering but did not and soon discovered that the luff of the new sail is 2' too long for the current foil length. The boat as a CDI FF4 furler and I located new foil but was hoping to avoid having to replace the whole foil at $400. Is it possible to add a section below the current foil or is my only option to find a sail that fits current or replace the whole span of foil?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We are led to believe that the furler is short for the boat so the furler can be extended. This is not usually the case as furlers are designed and installed based on the boats forestay length. Adding 2’ ( 2 feet) is likely improbable.
So alternatively, you can take the great bought (but too large) sail to a sail loft and ask them to recut the sail to fit your boats dimensions.
Or. Put the sail up for sale and buy one that fits your boat.
Lastly, you can shop for a bigger boat that will fit the sail... I like this last option. Bigger boats are always better.

Feb 27, 2018
Sorry I was not clear. The forestay is 30'10". The foil is 27'. New jib luff is 28'. The specs on the CDI FF4 state that max luff is forestay - 18". Thanks Calif. Ted and jssailem!

Oct 22, 2014
@russellkt your question gave me a reason to reacquaint myself with the CDI furler manual.
It is described as a “One Piece” flexible luff (extrusion). If it is one piece, I can not see where you will be able to add length to the furler.
Other manufacturer like ProFurl and Harken use extruded aluminum sections. This permits variable length adjustments, but is stiff not flexible like the CDI design.
Others might be able to share a trick, or a local rigger might know a secret but the manual does not discuss adjusting the length of the luff.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our Yankee extends around 2.5' below the foil groove on the bottom and attaches on the drum with a shackle. The halyard keeps the luff tight enough it rolls up just fine on the section. I guess I must be missing something, because I really don't see your problem.
However, rather than recut the foot, I think it would be much cheaper to recut the head, but I'm sure a good sailmaker can advise on that.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Maybe a metal sleeve to mate two sections of foil? Or weld them together by melting the ends together?
You may even manage to bind the sections by making a lap joint and gluing it.

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks jssailem for your thoughts. Based on them, I will most likely patch the old sail and use until I drop the mast, and then replace the entire foil. After inspecting last night, the original foil seems due for some attention/replacement as the groove is wavy and is now 31 years old. It also appears that the CDI foil replacement is now a pvc like material where the old is metal.

Capta, the CDI has a pin that attaches the drum to the foil so I don' think extending below the bottom of the foil will work.

agprice22, great thoughts and I believe they could be extended. If I come across a cheap section of foil, I'll probably try but at the moment I have been unable to find a used foil on ebay and local scrapyards.

Thank you all for your thoughts. This is my first boat with a furler on it.

Oct 22, 2014
That sounds like a solid plan.
If you are going to change in the furler you should consider all options. Many like the CDI for cost and some convenience with the halyard running inside the extrusion. On the other hand there are solutions that are more robust and have a stronger history for design like the Harken MKIV. I removed an aged but functioning ProFurler and replaced it with a new Harken this past winter. It was a great upgrade.
If you are going to replace then you should evaluate your sailing goals / intent / needs and consider all equipment that will address those needs. Boats are a series of compromises. We all make them. It is just wise to make the decision with as much information available so that we understand the compromises we make.
"It is you boat and your choice!" is a favorite statement of one of my good and experienced friends.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen

agprice22, great thoughts and I believe they could be extended. If I come across a cheap section of foil, I'll probably try but at the moment I have been unable to find a used foil on ebay and local scrapyards.

Thank you all for your thoughts. This is my first boat with a furler on it.
I actually have an FF9 furler, brand new, unused. I also have about 15 ft of pvc foil. Message me if you could use either.

Feb 27, 2018
I reached out to CDI, should have from the beginning, and they responded immediately. Posting their response for anyone else in a similar situation. Their information matches jssailem:

Yes unfortunately since it’s a solid piece of PVC and with the alignment of the slots in the extrusion, the only way to lengthen your luff would be to purchase a luff from the FF6 system
Everything else would work with your current system but the FF6 luff is 39’ and you would cut it to the correct length for your longer luff sail.