Experience with Diesel Fuel Pump Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Anyone have any experience with failing fuel pumps on old Yanmar Diesels (2QM15) ? I'm told mine is shot, and Yanmar does not carry the replacements any more - told that three exist in Japan and I could, for a price, buy one, or could try to have it rebuilt Also told that my best bet is to repower this 1981 Hunter 33 - cost will be more than what I paid for the boat !!

Has anyone been in this sitiation and would be willing to offer some advice or guidance on what such jobs should cost ? (yes, I have been told to scuttle the boat and suck up the loss, and yes - I did have a survey done before I purchased the boat - the surveyer did not even write the engine model down correctly !)

Help !!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Anyone have any experience with failing fuel pumps on old Yanmar Diesels (2QM15) ? I'm told mine is shot, and Yanmar does not carry the replacements any more - told that three exist in Japan and I could, for a price, buy one, or could try to have it rebuilt Also told that my best bet is to repower this 1981 Hunter 33 - cost will be more than what I paid for the boat !!

Has anyone been in this sitiation and would be willing to offer some advice or guidance on what such jobs should cost ? (yes, I have been told to scuttle the boat and suck up the loss, and yes - I did have a survey done before I purchased the boat - the surveyer did not even write the engine model down correctly !)

Help !!
why not convert to an electric fuel pump nd keep on going ...dont know why you couldnt do that

regards

woody

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Suggest you contact Mack Boring (www.mackboring.com/ -- the US East Coast 'master' Yanmar distributor) and seek out a fuel pump 'rebuild kit' --- valves and diaphragm.

If MB cant help you, then contact Torressen Marine (www.torresen.com/ .. another 'master' distributor.

If that fails, completely BYPASS the old pump (leave it in place but totally disconnected from the fuel line) and use a 12vdc pump (compatible with diesel fuel) from an automotive supply shop. You'll have to wire the fuel pump into an added oil pressure switch .... so the fuel pump automatically shuts down when the oil pressure drops to near zero. You'll want to use a (three position) SPDT toggle switch to bypass the oil pressure safety switch when starting the engine to bypass the 'safety pressure switch' which will be at zero pressure upon initial starting ... therefore you need to electrically bypass that oil pressure safety switch when starting-up. A good autosupply that caters to 'mechanics' will be able to help you.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
You don't need that old mechanical fuel pump. I picked up a low volume low pressure electric fuel pump for under $20 and wired it into the fuel circuit. Best of all it makes bleeding the system after filter changes a piece of cake.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
039275 is the part number for the 12VDC fuel lift pump for Universal Diesel engine M35B. I replaced mine at 580 hours on the engine. It was $ 178.00. You can order one from Trans Pacific Distributers, Fairfield, CA.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would check around with some other Yanmar distributors. If you find one in a different territory, I am sure that you would find a fellow SBO person to help you procure it!

Check the Yanmar site for the master distributors and see if anyone has one. You may also be able to xref it to a tractor pump.

I personally do not like the idea of an electric pump on a motor that need no electricity to keep it going. This is just me and there is no basis to this idea.

Good hunting and let us know what we can do for you or to you (depending on your situation <g>)

Jun 25, 2009
Moorman Annapolis 26 #62 Cherry Point, NC
I agree with the others if you're talking about the lift (feed) pump. The diaphram failed on my YSM-8 and I bypassed it with a 12v pump that I wired to come on when I turn on the key. I then considered the point Steve brought up about needing 12v to power the pump and decided to repair the diaphram. I found a very similar one on eBay that was listed as a tractor fuel pump and interchanged a couple of parts (rocker arm and bleed arm). I then re-wired the 12v pump to a switch. It now only comes on when I want it to now and makes bleeding the system a snap!
If you are talking about the injection pump, that may be a different matter, but don't give up! Torresen's, Mack Boring, eBay, this thread...all can be good resources. Good luck!

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Primary or secondary?

I changed the primary pump on my 3QM30 a few years ago and this was the same pump used on the GM series so there are tons of these available... You are therefore surely talking about the secondary pump; the expensive and difficult to calibrate one!
Go to a reputable diesel repair shop and let them find the parts needed. This is no job for an amateur. But there should be a solution out there.
Good luck.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
With-in the last three years I have replaced both fuel pumps on my 2qm15. The first to go was the lift pump on the side of the engine which pulls fuel from the tank. I retrofitted the 2QM with an electric pump from Auto Zone, a generic Airtex #E8012S. Just by-pass the old mechanical pump and be on your way. The injection pump on the front of the engine, pumps measured fuel to the injectors. I found a new pump from Yanmar to be almost a the cost of a rebuild so I purchased a new one from Mastry here in Florida. Cost about $600. I had a mechanic put it in, but would do it my self now after knowing how. Both of these repairs have the engine running very well.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
If you mean injector pump failure .... many automotive injector shops can repair them for you. With 99.9% of automobiles nowadays having fuel injection systems, just about every town greater than 10000 population will have an 'injector shop'.

larryw

Jun 9, 2004
Beneteau OC400 Long Beach, CA
A lift pump can be Mgyver'd back together if need be, or an electric pump added, but the injector pump must be done by a pro. I found a place near my boat that works on trucks, RVs, and buses. Many systems are the same. they rebuilt my alternator, i buy belts there, batteries, etc. Take the injector pump to a local truck mech and see what he says.

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
I'm looking at Torresen Marine's website and it says that you can get them for $85.69. It doesn't mean that they actually have one, but it's worth a try. They might not be in your shipping area, so you might not be able to buy direct. Try them at http://www.marinedieseldirect.com there's a complete parts listing for your motor under the Yanmar symbol. Someone from their shipping area could purchase it for you and ship it to you.

Dave

Jul 13, 2010
Hunter 386 Point Richmond, CA
I don't know a thing about fuel pumps but I remember reading that when 16 year old Jessica Watson made her solo non-stop sail around the world she faced fuel pump issues. She Macgivered her water pump to do the job. If she can do that, at 16 years old, all by herself in the middle of the ocean you can surely find something that will work for you. I don't think you have to repower your boat. I hate to hear about scuttling perfectly good boats, especially since ours is of that vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.