Expansion tank cap psi

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
My Perkins 4.108 has been fitted with a 7 lb cap forever. Operating temps are stable at 185' unless I accellerate over 2000 rpm. I have read that the proper pressure cap s/b 10 psi. I'm not looking for trouble but I wonder what the proper psi should be. What affect will a 10 lb cap have on general operation. Bob

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Higher pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant a few degrees. That would allow operation at higher temperature without boiling. Does not change the temp alarm set point.. . Boil point with 7 pound cap is about 234F with 10 psi cap, that goes up to 240F Not much difference.. What it might prevent is localized boiling in places of low pressure related to flow.. like the inlet to the circulating pump.. or places of higher local temperature like the cylinder head around the exhaust valve and port. These areas of local boiling can restrict flow enough to be a problem.. in this case, probably not.. but worth a look/see if Garner's post does not apply.. A 10 pound cap is cheap.