Evaluating a Cal 2-29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2005
- - Portland, Oregon
A friend and I are looking at a local Cal 2-29 for sale: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1379820&slim=quick& What are the best things to investigate when looking at a 2-29. If we got serious, we'd have a survey, but every model seems to have its own strengths and weaknesses. We're looking to share a boat that would be comforable for longer crusing for a couple and two kids-- one or two weeks in the San Juan Islands, and hopefully capable of crossing the Columbia River bar to head north in the summer (but not during the more challenging "r" months of the year). I like that the boat above had an epoxy bottom coat in 2002, and a diesel. It doesn't have propane for the stove yet, but the diesel cabin heat is a plus in our area. I like the way the lines are led and the interior is nice, and we also like the wheel with the binnacle mounted engine controls. It only has a 30 gallon water tank, however, and no refrigeration. Thanks! Jim H

Matt B

Sep 2, 2005
Cal 20 Camano Island, WA
No big deal

Jim, You've seen the boat and know more about its condition, etc., so I won't touch on that - though perhaps a Cal 2-29 owner might have some insight into specific items to look for. However, for your stated purpose, I wouldn't worry too much about the specific lacks you identified. Propane is relatively easy to add for cooking, or you could use a diesel stove (a little harder to find and more expensive, but simpler for your boat since it has diesel plumbed to the cabin already.) If you go with propane, I'd be inclined to run a line from a horizontal tank stored on the cabin roof to avoid issues with venting, etc. Also, by placing it directly over your galley space, it makes for a simpler run into the space. For refrigeration, you really don't need it. An icebox (or just a cooler) would be plenty; cruising in the Sound, there are well-stocked harbors everywhere, and you could buy a lot of ice for the price of a refrigerator and power system for your boat. Put in every few days to restock and let the kids run for an hour or two, then head back out and enjoy the rest of the islands.

G

girlsaylor

love our Cal 2-29, but for sale now

We're currently living aboard our Cal 2-29. It's a great boat! We approached ours a bit differently than many do-it-yourselfers. We have a new Yanmar engine in it, and all new standing and running rigging, new spruce spreaders, lights, etc. The interior is awaiting the next owner's skills. Still has original upholstery, and I'm in the process of cleaning the interior teak. We're going to be moving aboard a larger sailboat, so this one's going on the market. If it were a bit larger, we'd NEVER part with it! Questions on the Cal 2-29, you can e-mail us. girlsaylor

D

Dolphin

The Beam

One flaw in the Cal designs, including my 2-29, is the transverse steel beam under the wood post that supports the mast that takes the downward thrust of the mast. It is under the fiberglass portion that you step over to get to the head. This beam is regular steel that sits in an area that regularly gets wet so check it for rust. You should be able to see it with a mirror and flash light from the main cabin bilge and from the edges of teh floor panels under the head and head lav. Also, you can see teh tabs from under the seat. It can be repaired, but at a cost. There are some great sites detailing the repair. Other than that, she is a great boat. (Faster that those 27' Catalinas.)

Aug 5, 2005
- - Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses (especially about inspecting the steel beam). I also agree about the propane and refrigeration-- it's just that we made the "mistake" of doing a short charter on a newer boat and such things seemed nice: but not necessary to get started. By chance, we looked at a second Cal 2-29 yesterday and talked with the owner. I think I like them better than a Catalina 30, but I need to see and sail a Cataline 30 first, since some friends really enjoy theirs for sailing the Columbia and going North to the San Juans. As it is, though, the 2-29s are avaiable, have a sensible layout, and look easy to work on. My friend likes them as well, so we might end up with a shared ownership agreement. Thanks again!

R

rbtmoon@shaw.ca

living aboard

Hi! Iam interested in your boat please email me rbtmoon@shaw.ca. thanks robert moon

Status
Not open for further replies.