Engine won’t shut down

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
I have a Hunter 41 DS built in 2009.
The engine is a 54 HP Yanmar with the standard gauge panel, automobile type key start, “idiot lights” and push button kill switch.
The other day I noticed the indicator (idiot) lights were not lighting up when the key was turned to “on” although the audible sound warning did work.
Today, prior to launching tomorrow I turned the engine over and it immediately started and ran.
But the “stop” button failed to shut it down.
(I shut it down manually)
The non working idiot lights and the stop switch are within 1/2 inch of each other and appear to be connected into the SAME CIRCUIT BOARD behind the panel.
Upon removing the panel I saw no corrosion behind the panel and the one fuse behind and the two in front were good.
I am electrically “challenged” but I’m wondering if there is something wrong with this circuit board.
Has anyone solved such a problem?
Thank you.
Al

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I've had similar problems on my 1998 410. My problems end up being in the engine compartment, normally having to do with the relay that drives the shut off solenoid. I don't remember a circuit board near the keyswitch. Do you have any pictures?

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Hi scotdube.
I just began to investigate this problem and I don’t have much experience.
By the time this gets fixed I expect to know a lot more.
I’m not familiar with the solenoid in the engine compartment.
I am going to need to educate myself quickly or pay someone to repair it and hopefully learn something along the way.
What struck me was that along with the engine stop button not working the indicator lights (fuel, temp, etc) also are not working and when I looked behind the panel both the button and the indicator lights were connected to the same unit that appears to be a circuit board.
Tomorrow I will take a better picture but for now I only have a picture of the face of the panel and the part number information.
I’m new at this but I’ll try to attach the pictures.
Thank you.
99094CAE-2866-4C8E-BEBA-1B1C0C114491.jpeg
BC2922B4-2A64-4712-A4C1-46EC434F21DC.jpeg
BC2922B4-2A64-4712-A4C1-46EC434F21DC.jpeg

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I've replaced the start and stop buttons on my engine panel, a couple of times now. And On the same topic I've installed a backup start switch down at the engine. But far as the push buttons go the biggest problem is when the start button sticks on and burns out the starter, had that one once also.

So I'm more inclined to blame you stop problem on the button.

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
Do you have an automatic fire suppression system and is it functioning? I have a 2004 H41 AC. In 2005 with some lightening damage I did not discover the fire suppression system was damaged until it wouldn't start and once it started it wouldn't shut down. If the fire suppression system isn't working correctly it may keep the solenoid on the fuel shut off open or closed. As a result the engine may not start because it is closed or won't shut off because it is open. I did not find the problem until the solenoid shorted out and smoke came out of the engine compartment. Before you leave the dock make sure you can manually shut the fuel off.

Butch

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Probably the ground circuit. Common to all the items noted as not working. For the record the only lights that should light with the engine not turning over and the ignition on are the oil pressure (no pressure) and the alternator (voltage not over battery voltage). the water temp light should not be lit as the engine is not overheating.
Get a circuit diagram of the panel and note there the idiot light get their ground. If the stop solenoid has the same ground then you found it. the stop solenoid switch will not have a ground as it supplies power to the solenoid.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you all for these suggestions.
My abilities re electrical problems are so limited that I decided to have a professional look at it tomorrow morning.
While it would be smarter to investigate these possibilities myself and learn along the way, I’m itching to get the boat back in the water to continue with other repairs.
Hurricane Irma broke a lot of things down here..
I will report back what I learn.
Again, thank you all.
Al

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
If your starting battery is low on juice it will cause not being able to shut down also. Personnel experience.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you Twille.
T
That battery is charged so I know I’m good there.
To make matters more confusing the stop button is now working but not the indicator lights.
I am having someone look at it.
I was able to launch yesterday so she’s in the water.
Al

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My similar problems was caused by the Fuse for the Glow Plugs, was blown.
Mine cost $20. I also have a resetable one as a backup spare.
Jim...

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thanks Jim.
I will mention that to the electrical repair guys.
I reluctantly had to give up on it myself as I have so many other things on my list to attend to.
Thanks again.
Al

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That fuse also powered the Fuel shutoff solenoid. My 50 hp Volvo Penta uses a 40 amp fuse.
BTW my electrical guy said "no way" and later remarked "Good Trouble shooting"
Jim...