Engine stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
OK gang, once more I need sage advice. Took the boat to a new marina this weekend. Trip was about ten miles. Seas were VERY rough, for us that is, and was fighting a 24 kt headwind under power. Boat was pitching a lot, noticed about halfway there my revs were dropping.Full tank of fuel. Finally last mile I had throttle full forward and could only get 2400 rpm. Usually the revs stay right on where I set them. Was not throttle creep, checked it. Filter(s)??? Tried it tied up to the dock, no load and revs dropped from 3000 to 2400, then back up to 2600 before I shut her down. Yanmar 3GM30, 196 Hrs, Maintenance performed religiously, but was going to do filters this fall. Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Sounds exactly like the Racor starting to clog. Fuel filters would be an easy first fix.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Make sure you don't have algae growing in the tank cause if its been sitting and the temps warm and no bio-side added to the fuel you'll get an algae bloom in the fuel tank and be clogging filters real quick

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
also some rough bouncing can lead to churning up the contents of the fuel tank. The agitation can easily clog a fuel line filter or the primary filter.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Sounds like a classic case of clogged filters due to tank residue being churned up in rough seas.

Dougo

Nov 22, 2010
Hunter 23 Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
Sounds like fuel issues, pretty sure Clogged filter(s), bad fuel. Actually sounds exactly like a diesel that ran out of fuel and wasn't bled of air completely (I've had plenty of experience with that with machines at work)

Status
Not open for further replies.