Engine Panel Alarms

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
So I replaced my type B yanmar engine panel cover because the old one was cracked and broken. After reconnecting everything, I turned the key switch and only two of the three alarm lights came on. When I flicked the switch to test the alarm panel only one alarm light came on -yep the one that didn't come one when key switch. The engine did start when starter button was engaged and the alarms did go off as usual and the tach worked. All three lights worked prior to changing the panel cover. The offending alarm light is for oil pressure- any thoughts on how I track this down to fix ?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
When you turn the key only two alarm lights should come on, Oil Pressure and Alternator Charge (the engine is not running). The over-temperature alarm light should be off as the engine is cold at this time. Since all sensor were working prior to the panel replacement lets assume these are fine at this point. There should be a toggle switch in the panel to test just the temperature alarm circuit. I don't remember how the connections went on the Yanmar B panel but could it be that you reversed the wiring from the oil pressure lamp and the temperature lamp.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
It is the ground circuit. The wiring for the idiot lights and buzzer is not intuitive as it relies on a diode to block power to the light/buzzer normally. If you combine or miss connect the wires it simply will not work correctly. Get a wiring diagram and check the in line diodes part of the circuit. The diodes are wrapped in tape and are not at all obvious BTW

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
When you turn the key only two alarm lights should come on, Oil Pressure and Alternator Charge (the engine is not running). The over-temperature alarm light should be off as the engine is cold at this time. Since all sensor were working prior to the panel replacement lets assume these are fine at this point. There should be a toggle switch in the panel to test just the temperature alarm circuit. I don't remember how the connections went on the Yanmar B panel but could it be that you reversed the wiring from the oil pressure lamp and the temperature lamp.
When I replaced my B panel I did not have to rewire any of the lights I just took them out, then put them back in. Is it possible that you inserted the bulbs in the wrong slot?