Engine / Fuel problems????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Last fall I moved my boat about five miles away to a new marina. It was a very blustery day and the river had 3-4 foot waves. The action stirred up a bunch of stuff in my fuel tank and I watched my Tach slowly wind down as the primary filter clogged. Once I got in my slip I changed the small primary filter element and took the boat out for a test, no problems were experienced at various speeds.

Today after dewinterizing, I started the boat and motored out the slip and into the channel. I kept the speed at about 4kts @ 1900 RPM. When I got to the main channel I throttled up to the cruise speed of 2600 RPM and the throttle up did not feel "normal", i.e. no sensation of speed. Shortly after throttleup the engine began to sputter and loose power. A lot of gray smoke came out the exhaust as a fine mist of fuel. (The reason I suspect fuel is because there was a sheen on the water.) I quicky shut down the engine and checked for problems with the engine. Finding none I restarted the engine. I continued the trip at 1900-2000 RPM with no problem, but if I moved the throttle up to 2500 RPM or higher the smoke and sputtering would return. Does this sound like a fuel problem or do I need to get the checkbook out? (BTW the engine has only 200 hours on it, I have always added fuel conditioner to the fuel, and the fuel tank was topped off in November to within 1/4" from the cap.) I use only fuel from truckstops that change their filters on a regular basis. I am on the hard for a bottom paint so I cannot check it out until I am back in the water in about 10 days. You guys are the panel of experts, what say you?

Yanmar 3GM30F, 30 HP, 3 cylinder raw water cooled diesel engine. 201 hours. (2004)

Thanks,

Weasel

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You have 2 fuel filters

You say you changed the "small primary". Sounds like you simply changed the filter on the engine. That is the secondary filter. There is a primary filter on the fuel tank side of the system. Suspect water in the fuel, and the potential that your fuel cap o-ring has gone bad.

gpdno

May 16, 2011
Watkins 27 Venice
Sounds like you might have a fouled prop. Even a few small barnacles on a prop can destroy your performance. Lots of smoke and not being able to run at higher RPMs are good indicators that you should check the prop.

Oct 2, 2008
-Beneteau -361 -San Pedro
I have the same engine. Had same symptoms a few weeks ago. Changed out primary (Racor), cleaned entire bowl assembly, and changed secondary filter. Everything working fine now. You might have to bleed it when your done replacing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.