Engine Cleaning, Heat Exchanger & Altenator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
UPDATE – March 27th – Engine Painted & New Alternator

OK, just a quick update. The engine has been painted but has not been reassembled. That is still about two weeks out. Here is a quick photo I took after cleaning up the masking tape.

On the alternator, instead of rebuilding it I purchased a new one. The rebuild kit was $45. The new alternator (not a factory rebuild but brand new) was $77.50. Simple decision given the time crunch and cost. (Thanks for the heads up on that rpwillia) I will probably still order the rebuild kit and rebuild it over the summer to have a backup. That was on the list of spares for the cruise anyways.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
JK_Boston_Catalina310

Top Drawer job......................:+1:

paulj :troll:

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
You can attach a piece of, either colored aluminum radiator cloth on the inside of your bulkhead, then a small pic frame type moulding on inside of the boat to hide the inside cut edges. It comes in small pieces at the big box stores, and usually in some colors. its the stuff in the front center of a house radiator cover. I installed a new motor in 2o10, wife thought it over the top, but I wipe the engine off beginging and end of season wf a clean rag liberally damp with armorall, seems to help wf rust from moisture. I usually hit it after an oil change. pretty simple, so far its still lookin great...Red

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
UPDATE - April 10th - Finished Project (Well, almost)

With the boat scheduled to be splashed on Monday, April 15th, I ended up spending this whole weekend on the boat, trying to finish up my projects. That didn't happen and I ended up taking yesterday off work to do some more. I was able to get everything done except the exhaust riser. Note the new air filter thanks to Paulj. My custom-made (read "made by me") exhaust riser didn't quite fit as well as I wanted, so I am making some more tweaks to it before this weekend, when I will finish it up. Here are a couple of photos.

Bulkhead Modification

As mentioned before, we cut out a large portion of the bulkhead to allow for space around the exhaust riser to avoid the bulkhead catching on fire. This was done by a teak box that extends into the rear birth approximately 3 inches. My buddy Tom crafted this box beautifully and now it just needs a couple of latches, insulation and some stain/poly and it will be complete.

Tom and I designed the bulkhead modification to have a removable panel to allow access to the rear of the motor. I would now put the engine access on our C310 up against any sailboat out there. I can tell you one job that is going to be really easy now, checking and changing the transmission fluid.

I still need to put some insulation up on the new bulkhead but I am not sure what I'm going to use. Right now I am leaning towards similar insulation as to what the stairs have but might need to go with something different if the heat builds up to much.

Cross posted on my blog.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Transmission access

Jesse, you are SO RIGHT about access to the transmission fluid. Great job, nice work.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I am also jealous. Hard work to clean the motor and make it look that good!

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Engine and cover look fantastic. What a great modification!

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
JK_Boston_Catalina310

So far so good..............:+1:

but where is the exhaust riser:confused::confused:

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
So here is a quick shot of my "custom" exhaust riser/mixing elbow. It's made out of a combination of black iron and brass. I will do a more detailed post after I have it installed.

image-2998579926.jpg

It should be attached and the engine ran by mid next week.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
I wish I had a vise like that............:dance:

So far so good.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I wish I had a vise like that............:dance:

So far so good.

That's just my wimpy 3 1/2 inch vise. I had to use my 10 inch vise at work to get the original exhaust seperated from the elbow with the flange.

I do wish I could find a place to mount the 3 1/2 inch vise for when we go cruising but I just can't seem to find any place where it would be useful.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I am intrigued

So here is a quick shot of my "custom" exhaust riser/mixing elbow. It's made out of a combination of black iron and brass. I will do a more detailed post after I have it installed.
It should be attached and the engine ran by mid next week.
That looks pretty neat. Can't wait to see the picture of it installed. We may need a parts list and diagram when you are done. ;)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Just a quick follow up.

Following all of this work, the engine started fine and ran great.

I bled the system by simply turning the key and opening the bleed valve first at the Racor fuel filter. Once that was done, i just cracked the vavle at the injector pump just to verify that the air was gone.

For the coolant system I followed some of the advice at the C34 website for burbing. That worked great and was pretty easy. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

I ran the engine for about an hour and all was well.

The new altenator was putting out about 14.4 v.

Status
Not open for further replies.