Engine Alarm and Lights Flashing -Why?

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Motored about two hours without issue to a yard to have our h36 hauled. About 3 minutes out from the travel lift slip I backed the '08 Yanmar 3YM30 down from 3000 RPM to 2000RPM to slow down and start cooling the engine. At the slip I then dropped to idle and neutral as I was coasting into the slings and heard the panel alarm (yanmar/VDO type B) begin to "squeak" a little (not full-on loud), and noticed I could see at least 3 of the 4 panel idiot lights flashing on and off together (oil, water, saildrive and alternator). Unfortunately I didn't notice which three. It stopped with increased RPM. This happened a few more times each time I dropped back to idle, but just before we shut the engine off as we were being lifted, no more lights and alarm at idle. With all the excitement of getting into the slings I couldn't stop to look at idle RPMs or any other details. I'm thinking now that the engine RPM dropped well below the 750 RPM set point, to the point where the alternator output was less than the battery voltage, as if the engine had stopped. But why would the engine idle that low after a long motor?
TIA, Dan

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
On boats that had marginal water pumps, I've seen the engine temperature go up to the danger zone when the RPMs were cut back. Low oil pressure is equally likely. Oil that has been thinned by engine heat will test the performance of your oil pump.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
But why would the engine idle that low after a long motor?
TIA, Dan
A diesel drawing cool air is happy with its idle setting.
A diesel in a hot engine room drawing air through a hot manifold will have reduced volumetric efficiency. Mine does the same thing, and it's a Universal. Although not to the point of setting off alarms.
Try turning your engine room cowls to oppose each other, or other tactics to reduce engine room temp. And set the idle 50 rpm higher.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Hmmm - good places to start looking once the boat is back in the water. Will report back what I find. Thanks guys.