Emission label on Yanmar?

Apr 5, 2016
Hunter 33.5 Grapevine, TX
Hi all,
I recently bought a 1989 Hunter 33.5. Got a great deal on it but one of the reasons for that was it is currently in Canada, so I need to import it back to the US. I am working with a customs broker and they say that the engine would need to have an EPA emission label on it to bring it into the US. The Yanmar site says the label should be on the valve cover and looks like this:

Of course, I can't find any such label. Further, there doesn't look like there is physically enough room on top of the valve cover for such a label anyway. Can anyone with a mid-late 80's boat take a look at their Yanmar and see if they can see any kind of emissions label? Also, any chance any of your have experience with importing their Hunter?

Also one odd question...the label plate with the serial number on my boat just says 2GM, it does not say 2GMF. So I think this engine may be a 2GM20, not a 2GM20F. (pic uploaded).

Thanks all.
'Dubs

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't think that the regs apply to a boat engine from 1989.. this from the Kubota website:

Tier 1-3 Standards. The first federal standards (Tier 1) for new nonroad (or off-road) diesel engines were adopted in 1994 for engines over 37 kW (50 hp), to be phased-in from 1996 to 2000. In 1996, a Statement of Principles (SOP) pertaining to nonroad diesel engines was signed between EPA, California ARB and engine makers (including Caterpillar, Cummins, Deere, Detroit Diesel, Deutz, Isuzu, Komatsu, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Navistar, New Holland, Wis-Con, and Yanmar). On August 27, 1998, the EPA signed the final rule reflecting the provisions of the SOP [2787]. The 1998 regulation introduced Tier 1 standards for equipment under 37 kW (50 hp) and increasingly more stringent Tier 2 and Tier 3 standards for all equipment with phase-in schedules from 2000 to 2008. The Tier 1-3 standards are met through advanced engine design, with no or only limited use of exhaust gas aftertreatment (oxidation catalysts). Tier 3 standards for NOx+HC are similar in stringency to the 2004 standards for highway engines, however Tier 3 standards for PM were never adopted.

Concerning the engine model, does it have a heat exchanger? that is, does it use antifreeze coolant or is it raw water cooled? There were many 2GM models made that were raw water cooled and did not have a heat exchanger incorporated into the exhaust collector. If you have a heat exchanger, it may have been converted by a dealer before it went into the boat.
The 2 GM 20 would have a horsepower rating of 15.8 at 3400 rpm..

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Also, any chance any of your have experience with importing
As you can imagine, this is nothing new. Your customs broker should have all of the info, even though it seems he may be off the mark on the emissions stuff. A Google search on "importing a boat into the USA" will get you to the Customs & Border Patrol website among others. Then you do your research and homework. GL.

Apr 5, 2016
Hunter 33.5 Grapevine, TX
Well I think I found the answer, although I might have to educate the person I'm dealing with on the customs side. They may only be used to bringing in more modern boat. In a nutshell the Yanmar would be grandfathered in. On the EPA form needed to clear customs, form 3520-21, if you click box 1 then you have to prove your engine meets all the EPA standards including having the emissions label. But if you click box 17, that says,
"17. Engine manufactured before emission standards started to apply. These engines must generally have already been placed into service. See the attached schedule."

The attached schedule shows for "Marine compression-ignition engines: Power < 19 kW", the date at which the emissions requirements begin is January 1, 2000. So any engine may before then should not need the emissions control sticker.
I am also bringing in a 3HP outboard, made in 1995, that one falls under "Marine spark-ignition engines: Outboard", which has a cutoff of 1998. Mine was 1995, so am good. You have to prove to them to their satisfaction what year it was made, but hopefully that won't be a problem.
Thanks for the tips.
'Dubs