Electronic equipment recommendations for San Juan Islands

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26M Cayou Quay, Orcas Island, Wash
We just moved to Orcas Island (one of the San Juan Islands) of Washington from central Nebraska. We managed fine on Nebraska lakes with no electronics on our MacGregor 26M.

But coastal Washington is a whole new thing. What do we need (specifically as possible) to survive here? We have a hand-held VHF radio. We do not want to spend a lot of money, but we want to be safe. In fog or dark, we plan to drop anchor, so we see no need for radar.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
A depth sounder is also essential in dropping your hook and finding you way in fog.

You be well served by getting a good chart plotter and hailer for when (not if) you get cought out in the fog

I've spent lots of time in the 70's in the gulf and San Juans with paper charts, sounder and lung powered horn. Now I prefer the automated horns

You might surprise yourself how well you'll do without radar. I do have it and ais and chart plotters because it keeps my blood pressure down.

Les

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
You could look into some form of GPS or Chartplotter, if you're going into fog then radar would be a big help. Talk to local yacht club as they will help you out with more information in sailing in the area.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
On a 26' boat, get a handheld GPS chart plotter; a VHF; depth sounder at a minimum.
Do you have a speedo which can (approximimetly) estimate distance through water?
I'd also consider a water proof digital watch which has stopwatch features.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
In addition to your electronics I advocate having charts with your own set of waypoints pre plotted on them. I keep a matching set of waypoints pre programmed in all of my 3 GPS units and know at all times which one I would head for in the circumstance that I am suddenly fogged in. I can then make my way from waypoint to waypoint until I get home, or at least out of the ship channels.

I have not sailed that much in the San Juans but I noted the strong currents and many reefs and figure it is important to know where you are and navigate to the charts because it seems many of the hazards are not visible - and the currents are strong.

+10 on the need for a depth finder

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It's not electronic but you do not want to enter the Gulf Island waters without this:

CHS.JPG

Some of the passes will exceed 7 kts. max.

I don't know what the American equivalent is.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
a handheld IS GPS chart plotter
I may have mis-understood the 'IS', but I was making the distinction between a traditional, hard-wired, conventional chart plotter and a handheld model.

In response to Joseph6510's question about what one would recommend he posited that: i) he just moved his 26' Macgregor up to the San Juans; ii) he didn't want to spend a lot of money, and wondered what items we'd recommend for navigation?

In doing so I'd be mindful of the size of his boat, it's likely electrical capacity, and balancing cost.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We just moved to Orcas Island (one of the San Juan Islands) of Washington from central Nebraska. We managed fine on Nebraska lakes with no electronics on our MacGregor 26M.

But coastal Washington is a whole new thing. What do we need (specifically as possible) to survive here? We have a hand-held VHF radio. We do not want to spend a lot of money, but we want to be safe. In fog or dark, we plan to drop anchor, so we see no need for radar.
Can't help you but I do envy you. That would be like us moving there from Kansas. I stayed on Orcas on one of my many trips up there with Boeing. Beautiful place to visit.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I may have mis-understood the 'IS', but I was making the distinction between a traditional, hard-wired, conventional chart plotter and a handheld model.
I agree totally.
In doing so I'd be mindful of the size of his boat, it's likely electrical capacity, and balancing cost.
And that's why! :)

A hh is simply a small chartplotter.

I used a Garmin GPSMap 76Cx and made it all the way from San Francisco to Vancouver Island last summer. :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
if you do get a GPS (HH or other) - be sure it has BC Canadian Maps - It can cost you as much or more for to add maps. Also budget for some paper maps - It is tempting to use your phone as the GPS - that comes with several drawbacks, 1) they are hard to see in bright light (yes you can be in fog and bright -- not often but it can happen), 2) it can suck your phone battery down to the point you can't make a call, 3) make sure your phone maps are local and not cloud served and the phone actually has a standalone GPS and doesn't rely on cell tower placement 4) get a waterproof case for the phone so you don't kill it with rain/waves....

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Since the OP has a 26M that has a steering wheel and pedestal, a better featured chart plotter would be a nice luxury as you can mount that on the pedestal and its right under your nose for using it. On the older Macs with a tiller (which is what I have), you can find a place for a chart plotter.. but always some sort of compromise in being able to see any detail and I dont think its as good as the option you have. I have never sailed in fog but it seems that good and easy to see (like right under your nose) electronic navigation equipment would be valuable. You also likely have a large outboard (maybe 50 to 75 hp) with a significant charging system so powering it and other things would be no problem, just might need to increase your battery capacity to really take advantage of the larger charging system.

Ive only been up there one time around San Juan Island with a Hobie TI with 2.5 hp outboard with a peak speed of around 7 knts. For a lot of the outings we did, we didnt really need to worry about the tides and currents. A few places we definitely would have had to worry about current.. but your boat speed under motor might be 2x to 3x that so you also have options that most other sailboats dont. We avoided fog..

Last edited:

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
For years I got by with a hand held Garmin Oregon which is more intended for trails but you use what you have. It would go through 2 AA batteries every day so I just had to stock up. I also wouldn't go out there with out at least a hand held VHF. Preferably a floating waterproof one. I have never encountered fog in the islands only out in Rosario straight when crossing from Anacortes. but your biggest hazard in the islands is ferries. They are big and fast. A depth sounder is nice to have but I wouldn't call it required (I didn't have one for years) Most of the rocks out there that will bite you are just that rocks. By the time it shows up on a depth sounder you've already hit it. (But that's just my experience.)

In the San Juan Islands you definitely have to worry about tides and currents. This book is pretty ubiquitous and you can get the corresponding tide chart every year.
http://www.paracay.com/store/current-atlas-juan-de-fuca-strait-to-strait-of-georgia-p244.html

I also recommend the Fish N Map. It's plastic, pre-folded, cheap, and frequently updated.
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...Detail/Fishing-Maps/prod99999046651/cat101206

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
A VHF with DSC is a life saver. My Standard Horizon Matrix 2200 is overkill (with DSC and AIS) but the same radio without AIS - called the explorer - can be found for around $150-175.

A cellular-enable iPad comes with GPS built in. We don't have it connected to cell coverage, but it serves as our primary navigation/depth/speed indicator with Navionics maps. We sailed 4 days around the San Juans 2 years ago with no other intruments. (We now have actual depth finder as well). This also runs an anchor alarm at night, and has music and a couple movies on it. I sit mine at the the end of my galley table, right at the dagger board trunk. I can read the speed and position just fine from the cockpit and placing it here keeps it in the shadows of the cabin so you don't get any glare. Mine was factory refurbished for around $200 I think
(this picture is from our last trip - we stayed in Friday Harbor the previous night and now sailing south, between San Juan island and Lopez)

One last thing is an anchor light. Your boat probably has navigation lights, but you will rarely be moving after dark anyways. You anchor light, at the top of your mast, must be on all night while you're at anchor. Spend the extra money on LED for this one, as it will be on for 8 hours straight. This one is SeaDog or something and like $45 or so.

Hope this helps
(don't forget solid anchor and backup, tide tables, etc...!)

Jan 22, 2008
Can't help you but I do envy you. That would be like us moving there from Kansas. I stayed on Orcas on one of my many trips up there with Boeing. Beautiful place to visit.
It is truly a beautiful place. We have a slip at Deer Harbor, and it always seems to have a spectacular view!

Jan 22, 2008
I appreciate all the help from all of you. For some reason, this site never notified me of any of your responses, so today is the first time I have read them. We needed new bottom paint. We had boat yard that did the bottom paint also install a transom-mounted transducer for a Garmin ecoMAP CHIRP 74CV. It is a depth finder and has charts for coastal waters. (No Canadian charts, but we will order those.)

I've been using http://deepzoom.com/ on my cell phone for tides and currents, and it seems to work well. I was surprised to have data availability out here.

Cayou Quay is one of two marinas in Deer Harbor of Orcas Island.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
For some reason, this site never notified me of any of your responses, so today is the first time I have read them.
I think that's because no one quoted your post when replying to it. Let me know if this one notifies you.

Jan 22, 2008
I think that's because no one quoted your post when replying to it.
It's weird. I DID get a notification about the comment by Salty Trevor, but NO notification about your message. Without the notifications, I have a very hard time finding this thread!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It's weird. I DID get a notification about the comment by Salty Trevor, but NO notification about your message. Without the notifications, I have a very hard time finding this thread!
Odd. A potential spammer gets you notified, but not a forumite. Oh well.