electro scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Has anyone installed an electro scan waste treatment system?
Looking for some feed back on the unit and install. Not sure about the reg's either.
My intent if installed would eliminate.
A. holding tank
b. SMELL of holding tank
C. if legal direct dump after sanitize?

Defender has one on sale. One uses salt water and the other uses tablets?
Need input. I mainly use Maryland waters. I want to adhere to all state regulations. I know no one who has this unit. Need input please.
Thank you
Jim

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yes, it's legal on the Bay

Herring Bay is the only "no discharge" zone in the whole Chesapeake Bay...the discharge of treated waste is legal every where else. So unless you keep your boat at one of the Herrington Harbor marinas, you can pretty well eliminate your holding tank...though I woudn't recommend it.

The ElectroScan needs salt water...the PuraSan works in salt or fresh water and is prob'ly a better choice because the upper Bay is brackish, so you'd have to add salt to each flush for the ElectroScan.

It's pretty obvious from your questions that you haven't spent any time on the Raritan site reading about how either of these devices work...if you had you'd know which device uses salt and which one doesn't require feeding it tablets, but has a solid block ("tablet") of chemical in a cartridge...that neither device is a tank that's dumped, that both devlices treat and discharge a flush at a time. And a lot more you need to know about how to install, operate and maintain either one. I suggest you do that and THEN come back with the additional questions you're sure to have. You can read all about both of 'em icluding the complete installation, operation and maintenance manuals here: Raritan Waste Treatment

All that said...If you install, operate and maintain it according to directions, you'll love it.

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Not sure how to take your response

Thanks Peggie, it is quite obvious my question irritated you. One should not assume that I did not research this on the Raritan site. My question was quite simple. Is the item worth the trouble to eliminate the holding tank issues I listed, and obtain feedback from anyone who has installed it. I value this open forum to gather and share information. I do not need YOU to tell me what and when to ask my question. I am sorry you felt it necessary to over engineer your answer, with a side of sharp criticism.

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 36 Cobb Island
Jim D: Lighten up. Jim Seamans, Jav, has one installed on his H 356. He will be back on land today in the evening. He is out cruising on the Bay.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Got home about an hour ago

Spent a wonderful week on the southern bay sailing. 254nm.

Now on to the question. Have the ElectraSan installed, I think for 3 or 4 yrs. Would not leave home without it. I have the 4 gal salt tank installed that automatically adds salt on a as need basis to the flush. We are on the Potomac River and doesn't have enough salt. In the lower bay it never cycled.
Haven't used my holding tank since install (read don't worry about pump outs)
No smell from the unit, no SMELL at all. I have y-valves installed that would allow me to use the holding tank if in a NDZ, but the tank was cleaned out after installing the Elecro... It pumps directly overboard, holding tank not involved.

Winterizing the unit can be fun, I flush about 4-5 gallons of fresh water thru it before opening the little access port on the top of the unit. Use a wet/dry vac to suck out all the fluids and then leave it alone until spring.

Have the SeaEra electric flush toliet and it all works with the push of a single button....

Any other Questions?

zds

Oct 28, 2008
Hunter 34 -
How many batteries Jim? Do you have a locker full of amp-hours, or do you have to bring fuel-cans of amp-hours aboard for a 250+ nm trip?

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Batteries - lots

ZDS, have two group 27's for start bank and have 450Ahrs for the house bank. For trips I carry a Honda 2000i generator in case I need to re-charge or for special power needs ( like air conditioning).

We stay on the hook most of the time and with the way winds are on the bay we find ourselves motoring enough to keep the batteries charged up.

edit: BTW, the ElectroSan doesn't actually use that much power. The complete cycle is about 45secs at 30amps - don't quote me on the usage here don't have the manual in front of me.

May 22, 2004
Hunter h41 San Francisco
Having had both the Electroscan and the Purasan my vote is for the Purasan. The Purasan eliminates the need for a salt water feed or a salt water tank. I might suggest a Y valve so that you can go either directly overboard or into the holding tank. The reason for the salt in the Electroscan is for brackish water. They require real salt water to work. The Purasan requires a tablet that needs to be replaced about once a year. Both units work and both have minor drawbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.