Electric Start Outboard and Solar Panel

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
I have a Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke and also have a solar panel.

The PO said to not use the single battery to start the motor as it would blow the solar panel and the controller.

Is this because there is not a breaker in-line to protect them?

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I have a 9.9 Yamaha outboard and 2 85 watt Sunwize solar panels with a Sunforce controller wired to a single battery. I have had no problems using the electric start on the outboard.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
I have a 9.9 Yamaha outboard and 2 85 watt Sunwize solar panels with a Sunforce controller wired to a single battery. I have had no problems using the electric start on the outboard.
I have the Yamaha 9.9 with a single Acopower 20 watt panel with a Carmanah 20 watt controller. The battery is used for nav lights, a couple of led interior lights and charging ports for my iphone, gps, etc.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The reason the PO might have warned you is the same as @justsomeguy mentioned. On 1st generation solar panels there was a danger of supplying current to the panels instead of drawing current from them because there were no charge controllers. I know this because I lived on a boat with some early panels and this was the case for me. If power flows to the photo cell it will cause the cell to overheat and die. Since the first panels had no controller guys would install diodes in line that would prevent reverse current flow from the main engine. In your case you are using a controller between the battery and the panel so likely there would be no issue as the diodes are already installed and the controller should provide the protection needed for the panels. Check the owners manual for your controller and if there was a danger they will likely mention it in their install instructions. More than likely though with modern panels you will have no issues with a controller in line.

not sure of your exact controller but this may be the manual you need. http://gpelectric.com/files/gpelectric/documents/PDF/manual_GP_PWM_10.pdf

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I have a little different angle on this..
The reason that diodes were used between a panel and the battery is because when the panel is not producing power, it will have a parasitic draw on the order of 5% of its full sun current. Ie, during the day, the panel supplies current but at night it will drain current. If you put the diode between the panel and the battery, the diode isolates the panel at night and you eliminate the 5% parasitic draw.

However, about every solar charge controller on the planet also isolates the panel from the battery when the panel is not producing any current so you dont need a diode when a charge controller is used. You will NOT damage a panel by leaving a panel connected directly to a battery assuming the panel and battery are matched (ie, you have solar panel that is intended to be used with a 12 volt battery).

To the OP, you might ask the previous owner why he or she told you that. That would normally be bad info but maybe you have an additional problem with the wiring.

If you have a poor wiring setup, you could have some sort of problem. Normally you want the wires to the electric start (likely at least 6 gauge) to go directly to the battery. The wires from the solar charge controller also should go directly to the battery (more of less..)

Imagine a poor wiring case where the solar charge controller did not go directly to the battery but had a tap somewhere on the wires going to the outboard. When the outboard starter was being used, the voltage near the outboard could be lower than the battery voltage especially if the wires are too small. If the controller were tapped near the outboard, it would also see the voltage drop when the outboard was started. This normally will NOT blow the charge controller but it can send it off into the weeds as the voltage to the controller can get low enough for it to "lose its mind" but not low enough to cause it to reset once the voltage was back to normal.

With better wiring where the solar controller has a direct connection to the battery so you dont get something called ground bounce, you should be able to leave the controller connected to the battery while you start the outboard all you want. No need for any diodes. You should have fuses but the reason is to protect the wire from burning up in a short.

FYI, I have a charge controller connected to the battery and an electric start outboard. Charge controller is always connected to the battery when I start. Ive never had any issue doing this for years and lot of people also do this without any issue.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Bill, you shouldn't be using your single battery to start the motor in any case. That battery 'should' be a deep cycle and it isn't intended to be used as a starting battery. For your 9.9, you should just have a motorcycle starting battery that is located aft near the motor for starting.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
Bill, you shouldn't be using your single battery to start the motor in any case. That battery 'should' be a deep cycle and it isn't intended to be used as a starting battery. For your 9.9, you should just have a motorcycle starting battery that is located aft near the motor for starting.
I was kinda of thinking in that direction. Thinking that the sudden burst of power needed to start a motor would create some sort of surge. The cost of a motorcycle battery vs solar panel and controller is a no brainer.

Thanks to all for the help.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I was kinda of thinking in that direction. Thinking that the sudden burst of power needed to start a motor would create some sort of surge. The cost of a motorcycle battery vs solar panel and controller is a no brainer.

Thanks to all for the help.
I would just install a switch.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
I was reading the Yamaha manual and it says to install a rectifier if you are going to use the electric start. Is this only if you are using the motor to charge the battery? What happens if you don't install a rectifier?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Just about any battery can be used to start a 9.9 HP motor.
the solar panel is just another battery in the circuit. If you use any power from the battery-solar panel circuit it will not hurt the solar panel. think about it, if you load up the battery the voltage drops, the solar panel will see this and just supply more current up to its max possible. It will do so without damage as you can short the + and - leads to a solar panel together and stick it in the sun and nothing will happen except the wires will get warm.