Dubious science from those who should know better

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Now I'm worried. My bottom paint is red VC-17. How many whales so you think a 17 sq. mile inland lake can support?
In 28 years sailing on the lake, I've never encountered a whale. But it only takes one....
Whales, schmales. What if there's a Loch Ness type creature in your lake, don't you wonder about it's ability to differentiate colors?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you ever come across that show again, or even if you just remember the title, I'd love to find a way to get a look at it for myself. It sounds like a real eye opener with some genuine first hand information in it.
When I dove with the Polynesians in the Tuomotus as part of the fishermen who fed the whole village three times a week, the Polynesians would not themselves dive in or allow us to dive in any colors other than brown or black. No jewelry and they even removed the orange band that comes around the top of the snorkels.
We always dove with sharks, white tips, black tips, and bronze whalers or bull sharks. We would spear fish until we were losing more fish to the sharks than we could boat, at which point we'd move to another section of the lagoon. It wouldn't take long for the sharks to find us again, and the process was repeated until we had enough fish to feed the village.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Wonder what color Jennifer Appel's bottom was to have so many sharks attack it...... that would be boat bottom,,,,,,,,,,,,:)
Dunno what color her bottom was, but her face shoulda been RED after all the lies she told!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
When I dove with the Polynesians in the Tuomotus as part of the fishermen who fed the whole village three times a week, the Polynesians would not themselves dive in or allow us to dive in any colors other than brown or black. No jewelry and they even removed the orange band that comes around the top of the snorkels.
We always dove with sharks, white tips, black tips, and bronze whalers or bull sharks. We would spear fish until we were losing more fish to the sharks than we could boat, at which point we'd move to another section of the lagoon. It wouldn't take long for the sharks to find us again, and the process was repeated until we had enough fish to feed the village.
Yea, the tax man (sharks) can be a real problem sometimes. When the sharks are thick, & cobia are around, I will sometimes start by catching several junk fish like crevalles or little tunny, then use them to chum up the sharks, then sight cast to the cobia that follow the frenzy, then drop the rest of the junk to keep the sharks busy while I let the cobia run to a safe distance where I can yank him aboard. It's a little involved, but I really like catching cobia. Sometimes bait & switch is a viable option for getting away from the guys in the grey suits (sharks).

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I will sometimes start by catching several junk fish like crevalles or little tunny, then use them to chum up the sharks, then sight cast to the cobia
Junk fish? You are a better fisherman than I, if those are your junk fish. Of course, most people are better fishermen than I am. I'm thrilled to hook a jack or a Bonito. I grew up the son of a headboat captain. Cobia are the bane of party fishing. You hook an amberjack and they swim a big wide circle and gather up all the lines together, terrible for the deckhand. He may have to cut the amberjack line after the fisherman gets him in. You hook a cobia and they start to weave in and out through everyone's lines. You may have to cut a number of lines to get everyone untangled. I can't say as I've ever eaten cobia either, nearly as bloody as bonito. We would occasionally bring bonito home for cat food. I tried it cut-up and cooked like canned tuna. Not bad at all.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Have a whale of a good time sailing on Lake Perry ......we sail on Lake Cheney....no whales here ...yet ..Patrick

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
... I grew up the son of a headboat captain. Cobia are the bane of party fishing. You hook an amberjack and they swim a big wide circle and gather up all the lines together, terrible for the deckhand. He may have to cut the amberjack line after the fisherman gets him in. You hook a cobia and they start to weave in and out through everyone's lines. You may have to cut a number of lines to get everyone untangled. I can't say as I've ever eaten cobia either, nearly as bloody as bonito. We would occasionally bring bonito home for cat food. I tried it cut-up and cooked like canned tuna. Not bad at all...
Cobia are real thugs. If you think that they give you trouble tangling up lines while swimming in the water, try bringing one aboard while he's still green. He will try to kill every person on the boat & smash every piece of equipment that he can flop over to. They are really strong & angry fish. ...but they taste great.

Amberjacks are strong fighters with good endurance & they taste pretty good, but around me, most of the keeper sized ones (over 28") are loaded with worms, so I avoid them. The Jack Crevalles are also strong fighters, & tend to be a bit faster, but they don't cook up as well. The Crevalles aren't regulated, so they become shark bait or strip bait when I get them. The Crevalle is very similar to, if not the same as, a fish that is known elsewhere as the Giant Travalle. They are prized for the fight that they put up. They become a handful when they reach around 2' in length & generally tend to require pretty heavy tackle when they hit 3', unless you are a super grade A angler. Around here, 2-3' Crevalles are not hard to find. Keeper size AJs are also not hard to find if you want them.

There are a few different types of "Bonito", which is why I used the "proper" name of little tunny, rather than just say Florida Bonito. The Florida Bonito are the ones with the squiggly lines on their backs & red meat inside. They taste like the north end of a south bound rat, every way that I have had them cooked. The Atlantic Bonito (straight stripes), is a very different story. That is a sushi grade fish. The Florida Bonito is an unregulated fish. They are fun to hook if you are just looking to bend a rod & get a workout, but they are super bloody when brought on board & I have little use for them other than bait. If I fed them to a cat, I'd be concerned that the ASPCA might come looking for me. Those things can be enough to make a billy goat puke.

Last edited: