drilling / screwing into exterior hull.....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,
So I am adding 2 small clam shell vent covers on my anchor locker drains that are right above the water line. The previous originals were plastic that have cracked / broken and faded..... New ones are ss and have three screw holes verses 1 for the old. I understand drilling a pilot hole however is there suggestions on not cracking the top finish once screwing in? I was thinking that I drill a pilot hole to proper depth then do an over-sized hole through the paint and gelcoat before screwing in. Suggestions all welcome

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Greg,
I know that you already purchased replacement clamshells that will certainly be more robust than the OEM covers; however you should be able to order replacements from Beneteau. No additional mounting holes required.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Yes I did see that you can get them.... however I like the ss look and added robustness.

Thanks!

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Know what you’re talking about. I chartered Beneteau’s for about 5 years before purchasing. Charter Co. always had problems with clients hitting & breaking the plastic clamshells when docking on floating docks!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I busted one with the buffer......... the plastic was no match fop the Makita!

Tricia

Jun 4, 2004
Freedom 30 Victoria, BC
Start drilling with the drill in reverse. Once it's through the gelcoat, then change to forward. Then chamfer the holes a bit by running either a larger drill bit or a countersink in reverse. That should keep the gelcoat from chipping.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I busted one with the buffer......... the plastic was no match fop the Makita!
Glad that you mentioned that, I will be more careful next time I am buffing with the Makita!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
It's the size drill that matters. If you have a caliper, check the size of the existing hole for the original single screw or try fitting a drill into it. It has to be smaller than the outside diameter of the screw but not too much smaller or it will crack the surrounding glass.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
There is nothing wrong with gluing these on with 3M 4200 or similar. I would NOT drill holes for this. That is how the PDQ factory installed them, and I was glad.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Well drilled the holes 1.5 inch fiberglass so only went in 1/4 inch. Drilled counter sunk, little butyl on each hole. Came out great. Thanks for advise....

Greg

A5BBCAF6-EE09-4FA2-BDD4-126B479BD342.jpeg CABBBD04-1A2A-4B92-8B5C-348B6A5F561B.jpeg