Double Cat

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is the sexiest thing I've ever seen (don't tell my wife)
The ladies LOVE catamarans. Ask Boat Babe! I looked long and hard at the Atlantic catamarans back when they first came on the market.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
When I saw the title of double cat I though someone was posting about the twin masted catamaran that used to be moored under the I-82 bridge in Umatilla OR marina. It was a home-built monstrosity that consisted of two Catalina 22's lashed side-by-side with the rigging from both all still set. Weirdest boat I ever done seen!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe rafting Catalina 22s together is a way of building community solidarity. Just let adding another hull and mast and the deck space for the community activities goes up even more. n(deck width x deck length x distance between hulls) - deck length x distance between hulls = deck space overall.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A weakness that has contributed to atleast one capsize is that when it gets nasty, the crew hides inside, out of reach of the sheets. You don't do that on a performance cat, ever. This is the advantage of the conventional hard top layout--you can sail in a near gale without a rain coat. Also, what happens when you open that door in the pouring, driving rain? It soaks the salon.

Yes, it looks cool (is cool!--I sailed on one) on a nice day, but the sunburn is killer and the weather protection stinks.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When I saw the title of double cat I though someone was posting about the twin masted catamaran that used to be moored under the I-82 bridge in Umatilla OR marina. It was a home-built monstrosity that consisted of two Catalina 22's lashed side-by-side with the rigging from both all still set. Weirdest boat I ever done seen!
And thaey call it :

Catalina 222?

Catalina 22x2?

CataCatalina 22?

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
If you like col cats, google Peter Spronk. He used to design and build cats in the Caribbean Here is a pic of Shadowfax, technically a schooner.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Could it sail? I think from a position of pure curiosity, I'd like to see that boat under sail.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you like col cats, google Peter Spronk. He used to design and build cats in the Caribbean Here is a pic of Shadowfax, technically a schooner.
Very cool... here is one of his that is actually a top sail schooner... It kind of looks like the Thunderbird of sailboats.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Kelsall.JPG

This is what I see more often in terms of twin mast Cats (KSS 54 Coolchange)
I wonder if this is a more/less efficient sail plan than the first example posted?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If you’re going to see it, you’re going to see it out there.

All U Get

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Could it sail? I think from a position of pure curiosity, I'd like to see that boat under sail.
I always did too! I used to drive over the road truck and went that way often and looked at it every time I when past. The last time I saw it was not long after I quit driving truck in 1989. I was hopeful that I could find a photo on the Google Earth archive photos and found this from 1996. It is very grainy and not in the same location it had been previously. It was always in the center of the dock on the side towards the bottom of the photo.

Attachments