Don't Laugh, please

Nov 26, 2014
Bristol 23' Miami
When sailing yesterday... I some how last my kicker (6hp) overboard... I was out for 6 hours and have no idea of when where or how... I normally don't use an auxiliary so its not such a big loss for me but I do feel bad to be leaving "garbage" some where in the channel...

I have a 23' Bristol and want to get a oar for skulking (as a backup to getting out and in) any pointers?

The transom has a "u" shape cut in it (by the manufactures) for the kicker and I hope to install a good oar lock there.

Thanks for all the help

Mike

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mike, thanks for your honesty! :) On one of our early voyages on our Catalina 22 we lost our rudder and tiller in heavy winds from aft. Not fun. I hear ya!

IIRC, the word you're looking for is "sweep", might try Googling it.

Good luck, it should work, it did for the Pardeys. :)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Since you don't normally use it, are you sure it was on the boat when you left the harbor? The mind does funny things with what you expect to see.

Nov 26, 2014
Bristol 23' Miami
Since you don't normally use it, are you sure it was on the boat when you left the harbor? The mind does funny things with what you expect to see.
thanks Dave but with the gas tank turned up and the hose severed by the hand pump.... I think it was with me.

Mike

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Unless you are a Gondolier propelling a Gondola in Venice or a paddler in a canoe I believe that moving a sailboat's displacement in anything but flat, calm water would be a severe physical challenge. It certainly would be beyond my capability. I have sort of "sculled" a dinghy by using a single oar (yes, I have often been accused of having only ONE OAR in the water!) over the bow in an "S" shaped motion that incorporates a "drawing" motion to move forward.

If you attempt this experiment I would think the longer the oar the more likely you will be to get enough force to move your boat. 10 to 12 feet seems more likely to be successful than 6 to 8.5 feet. I don't think the "push, pull" motion is as useful as the "draw" or "throw" with a canoe paddle in those smaller, lighter craft.

Then where do you store the oar when sailing? :confused:

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Gawd. I could be you.

You have realized just one of those statistically unlikely disastrous events that universally haunts the subconscious minds and hearts of all seafarers. They live constantly in the backs of our minds, along with all the other what ifs and should I do something about its and if so whens, or not.

Engine fell off - seriously sucks. Lucky you.

Now I may have to use good old American overreaction and put more bolts and cables on the outboard and check it every 10 minutes or so just to be sure. I'm sure I won't be alone. Could go on for years.

Or do I wait and see if it becomes a woulda coulda shoulda after my motor falls off???

See what you've done?!?!?

Seriously - sorry that happened to you and worse that its lost. Ouch.