Does anyone use the cabin top grabrails?

Aug 20, 2012
Catalina 25 Punta Gorda
I am in the process of eliminating all the teak on the exterior of my '89 C-25 and replacing it with white. I have already made new companionway drop boards out of King Starboard and am in the process of making new railwood for the sliding hatch and companionway hatch trim. It occurred to me that I never use the cabin top grab rails when going forward and was thinking of removing them entirely. Does anyone really use them or are they strictly a traditional ornament?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When you're up on the cabintop, say reefing the mainsail, they make great foot-stops. Besides, they look nice.

Why not take a picture, then photoshop them out and see what it looks like.

Also consider resale value.

Have you asked the C25 skippers on their forum?

PS - we owned an '81 for 13 years. I wouldn't.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think they get in the way.... especially if you have lines led aft. A boat that size...at the very most.. all you need is one strategically placed single hand hold to get to the mast.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I, or crew, have used them on occasion to hold on. I also use them to fasten the sail ties to. They make a good foot stop when heeled over and going forward.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I could not imagine a sailboat without handholds for grabbing while going forward. Sailboats aren't always flat. And often aren't at the most inconvenient of times.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I am not proposing that hand holds per se are unwarranted... just the teak style that are fixed the entire length of the house. They are often more decorative than functional.... That's why I think many newer sailboat designs are rarely equipped as such.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
You obviously never go forward in big seas. To echo Jackdaw; I can't imagine having a boat without
Peter

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Hello all,

If you just want to eliminate the teak, replacement hand rails are available in white plastic,(maybe king starboard) and I believe also in stainless. However, I too would not consider total removal of the hand rails. especially if you don't have roller furling head sails. Check out Catalina Direct for replacements. Good luck and good sailing.

Bladeswell

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
What Jackdaw said.
Better to have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
When going forward in big seas, it's really important to stay low. The handrails are very useful for this. When I hold on to them it causes my body to be pulled down. Holding onto lifelines, for example, pulls you up and out (not the direction you want to go!!). I would prefer to leave them on.

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Hello again,

When going forward on the side decks with the boat heeled there isn't much safe purchase for your footing. For that reason, I prefer to go across the coach roof and the hand rails make excellent foot braces. ( Maybe we should change the name to foot rails). I'm sure everyone has their own preferences. But however you prefer to go forward, it would be safest for everyone, ( read that crew and passengers) to leave the hand rails installed no matter the material you decide upon. Good sailing.

Bladeswell

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Stan,

I use the handrails all the time while underway, as in nearly time I go forward when the boat is heeling or moving through waves.

As someone else said, handrails are available in white plastic and probably fake wood.

Sep 12, 2009
Oday 222 Havre de Grace, MD
Removing Grab Rails... I'd never remove them. I am a very senior female, about 5' tall so I need all the grab holds available and also foot stops.. Keep them is my advice.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Why are you going forward walking along the side decks with the boat is sailing? Lines are easily led to the cockpit, and you have a forward hatch to get to the foredeck.

Don