Documentation Shutdown

Feb 1, 2013
Pearson Wanderer Chesapeake
I sent my USCG documentation renewal to West Virginia in December. My certificate expires the end of February. Does anyone want to guess how the government shutdown will affect this situation!

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
I just did my renewal online after the shutdown started. Was actually suprised when i got the new certificate in the mail a couple of days later.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I don't know how it applies directly to the documentation service, however, my understanding is that civilian employees of the USCG are furloughed the coasties are not. They are trying to do their own jobs and those of the civilians.

I also suspect the difference in response times has to do with completing the renewal online vs. mailing it. The online process is probably pretty automated and requires less human intervention than the mail. My documentation is due at the end of March, I'll renew online.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I just did my renewal online after the shutdown started. Was actually suprised when i got the new certificate in the mail a couple of days later.
Same for me, all done within 2 weeks.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Government offices that are fee based are still going. I was able to get my passport renewed without a problem. I would think as you pay for this, it would still be functional. Maybe give it a shot online like others have first, then you can stir the politics pot if it doesn't go through.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
A reminder - don't rely on the mailed notice of renewal. Mine didn't get to me for some reason two years ago and I subsequently missed my renewal date by 5 days which led to a comedy of snowballing snafus over the next nine months as well as several extra dollars being spent . I now have a repeating reminder in my calendar well in advance of my renewal date :)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Not yet, but I did get a notice from a Renewal Service that for a small fee would renew my documentation for me. I filed that in the appropriate container. :biggrin:
Those renewal services are a scam. It couldn't be simpler to renew on your own, and those services just add a fee and it takes as much of your time to interact with the service (or more) than if you did it yourself. Not only that -- the services I have seen try to appear as if they're the CG, and you really have to look carefully to determine that they're impersonating the CG. That galls me.
This is the official site -- just follow the links and you can pay online by credit card. https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...-Documentation-Center-Instructions-and-Forms/

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I sent mine off late December and got it back right away..... one on the lucky ones I guess.

Feb 1, 2013
Pearson Wanderer Chesapeake
Just checked the website. It has a banner across the page saying that the website is not being actively managed.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure that as long as you submitted the paperwork on time, you will not be penalized. Once the partial shutdown is resolved, business will be back to normal.