Dinette Table

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
image.jpg Hello,
My boat has a spot for a dinette table, although there is not currently one with the boat. There are two pieces of wood where the table is supposed to be. The owner gave us these metal things, and said we could use them for a table (I will attach a picture) Does anyone know if I could build a table by connecting the two pieces of wood?
Thank you

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Thank you. There are fittings in the boat, and I was thinking about using a piece of wood to support the unsupported side of the table.

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Very nice.
I was thinking of still being able to put it under the berth where the table is located.

Oct 24, 2018
Helsen 22 Fond Du Lac, WI
I have a Helsen 22 also. Mine has the table on the starboard side. On the unsupported end there is a metal post that swings down to support it when upright. It folds up to the underside of the table when you use it to make up the berth. They use the same system in campers. There are replacements available through those outlets

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
8741BA2E-A118-4F17-AF5E-BFD30F5F9E25.jpeg Thank you. Funny thing, I just uncovered the boat to take a look at it, and snapped some pictures. Here is the wood that I am going to use and the area where the table is:

Oct 24, 2018
Helsen 22 Fond Du Lac, WI
The table in my Helsen is original. I know this since the boat originally belonged to my father in law who sold it in the early 1980's the table is one piece of plywood about 5/8" thick with a Brown plastic edge to cover the end grain of the plywood. I don't know how you are going to make a table out of two pieces and be able to stand it up with the leg. I am not currently at home as I winter in Texas. But I will be happy to snap some pictures in late May when I am back home with the boat. My interior is as it was when it was built.

Mar 16, 2011
Sirius 21 Bronte
It looks like your dinette is designed to drop into the space between the settees to make up a double berth. Although you pieces of wood are the right size they will not be particularly attractive. I would bite the bullet and pick up a piece of marine plywood, Meramti or Okume would be fine, and support the the underside by running a couple of pieces of hardwood along it at right angles to the boat's fore and aft axis. I am working on a similar project this winter and have attached a photo of the underside of the table to illustrate what I mean.

Attachments