Difference between Marine and non-Marine Diesel engines and Mechanics?

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
I've been trying to find a diesel mechanic locally who will work on a Universal diesel engine... very little luck!
Mechanics who work on non-marine diesels do not work on marine diesels.
I tried to search for a topic here on this but didn't see any.
Any diesel mechanics out there who can tell me why they're so different to work on?
Thanks!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I know a small engine mechanic who won't do outboards - "everything you touch on them breaks off, don't need my fingers in the wringer"

Another reason is the access I would guess.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Many of the problems arising from marine diesels are peculiar to parts which do not exist in non-marine applications. For example a marine engine may develop lack of power and smoke due to a clogged mixing elbow and unless you are a diesel mechanic familiar with raw water intake pumps, mixing elbows, heat exchangers, fuel storage issues, etc you could be frustrated by a problem and have no clue for a solution. Another factor is engine location, it takes practice to know how to crawl and reach into places of engine system components and they will not have at their disposal a full array of tools and shop machinery. Many non marine diesel mechanics may even have a hard time figuring out how to perform an oil change.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Wait... so an 8-digit calculator isn't a 'scientific' calculator? I'm so cornfused!
Yes it's a Universal inside a Gulf 32.
Took on water that flooded the engine compartment.
Just mulling over the idea of picking this boat up for a good price... maybe... electrical, all the interior wood, any possible water instrusions into the hull... could make this a much bigger project.
From what I've seen so far without scoping the deep and far reaches of the boat, it's a doable project.
It's another case of the pump not being powered, a fitting failure and water flooding in.
I just figured once you remove the diesel motor from the boat (which on a Gulf is more a bit more straightforward than other boats I've seen), it's just like any other diesel.. my mistake I suppose.
Even offering to deliver it to their shop... our local shops won't want to touch a marine engine.
Now... all the grower's big-ass diesels.. yeah, they'll do those no prob'... of course a pot grower always pays cash... lots of it! ;)
What boat owner can compete with THAT? LOL
I've rebuilt gas engines... from a Harley on up... a diesel doesn't scare me, I know I just need to learn the ins&outs of diesel mechanics!
If I do this myself... that's just adds a different element to the bidding process. :)
Thanks to everyone for responding

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Universal is a Kubota engine that has been modified to be a marine engine. The modifications are all external to the engine, meaning things like the exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, raw water pump, and transmission. There are rebuild shops that will take your engine in trade for a rebuilt one.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
marine mechanic also has to be really concerned with dirty foot prints, hand prints, leaking fluids in to the marine environment, losing tools overboard and having adequate insurance. Several trips to and from the boat, for a simple oil change, access to the engine is time consuming and so on.

Oddly even worse on the big power boats, where you can walk up to the engine...still have to have footies and coveralls to walk through the boat to get to the engine. Change to grubbies for work and then back to clean ones to exit.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Any diesel mechanics out there who can tell me why they're so different to work on?
I am not a diesel mechanic, but I am a diesel engine...
ATTENDANT!

Things that I 'attend' to on Marine diesel that are different than a "landlubber" one.
1) Salt water corrosion
2) Engine Cooling.
3) Exhaust. [not much modern emission control]
_________
The main reasons I hear opposition...
1) Can't get access to some engines and $$$ billing skyrockets
2) Can't get parts at AutoPart store.
3) Worried about their Warranty.
________
On my Hunter, it was nicely designed for easy engine removal to go work on the internals on a bench.
________
A marine engine mechanic makes house calls the auto diesel mechanic doesn't
Very profound.:plus:

Which leads to this thought...

Sail your boat to the Marine diesel...
HOSPITAL.
We have one about 30 miles away.
Jim...

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
I appreciate the extra information offered here.
I was just wondering what the actual.... physical... differences were between marine and non-marine diesel engines, and why a typically non-marine diesel engine shop would not accept a marine diesel engine brought to it.
I have the means to remove the engine and get it to a shop.
I see where mention of all the 'extras' necessary for use of a diesel engine aboard a boat are possibly out of the knowledge base of a non-marine diesel mechanic. Makes sense.
But why can't any diesel mechanic look at any diesel motor without all those extras and rebuild it?
Especially the ones based upon non-marine diesel engines like the Kubota?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WSMac... I have to believe they would work on it if you delivered it to there shop.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
WSMac... I have to believe they would work on it if you delivered it to there shop.
Not around here. I asked in person at one of our more favored diesel mechanics.
But... I didn't ask why.
I'm thinking of going back and asking why... I'm now officially curious! hahaha
ETA:... I have also checked by phone with other shops too.. just to clarify I checked with more than one place. :)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Friedrich Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt?
He's got enough names for two fellers.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS