diesel stink again

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmwac

Apr 22, 2011
Catalina 30 Watkins Glen
Hi Peggy: Last season, as a first year owner of a 1984 Newport 27S, I posted an inquiry about a lingering sweet, petro smell under the companionway.... I scrubbed the entire boat down. Things were better..... till the day I topped off the diesel tank for the winter. I topped it off too well..... right up to the filler neck. Smell was back in a big way within the hour. Upon investigating the inaccessible regions where boatmakers love to hide fuel tanks, I could see that I had a puddle of diesel on top of the fuel tank.....next to a wet, and I'll assume leaking, fuel sender.... The fuel that was contained in the fuel lines ABOVE the height of the tank was causing an overflow out of the sender gasket. It appears that the fuel line and vent lines to the engine are dry and well sealed. The fuel inlet hose's connection to the tank is totally inaccessible, but there doesn't seem to be any capillary action of fuel creeping along the main fuel hose where I can see it (which I'd expect if it were leaking at it's connection to the tank) so I'm hoping the leak is confined to the sender gasket.
I'll have to figure out how to get to and reseal that sender, but my real question is once done, HOW do I evacuate and then eradicate all traces of diesel that has flowed around the tank and then down into the bilge etc.? I'll never be able to actually SEE these areas. It also makes sense to me now that every so often after a roudy sail where the boat was well-heeled, the smell would be back. I'll bet the sloshing around of diesel in a mostly well-filled tank is what did the trick. I'd love to hear if others had the same experience, and how they coped. I look forward to some help here.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I've had the best result removing diesel smell from hands, tools etc using a citrus cleaner.
I used to have a Newport 30 that leaked around the fuel pickup and return fittings glassed into the top of the tank. Caulk wouldn't seal it completely.
I kept an oil aborbent pad wrapped around the fittings and stuffed alongside the tank. I would change out the pads once they had picked up a little smell. I swabbed the area down with the citrus cleaner and wiped up with paper towels.
You might try spraying the area down with the citrus or TSP solution if necessary, rinse with warm water and sponge out the bilge.

Status
Not open for further replies.