Dickinson Diesel heater

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
Good morning all. I am getting ready to take the kids overnight for the first and last trip off the dock overnight. It is supposed to get real cold overnight and am planning on firing up the Dickinson diesel heater. Do people generally let it run overnight when they are sleeping? I have been doing and with a vent source of fresh air open (I figured Id crack the main hatch and a port window), it appears to be safe. Would just like to know how people use this device safely. My first thought was to let it get the boat real warm before bed, shut it off, then restart in the morning when I am awake and can tend it. Suggestions?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do you have a working carbon monoxide detector? Without one, I would be hesitant to leave the heater on all night.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Do you have a working carbon monoxide detector? Without one, I would be hesitant to leave the heater on all night.
Our insurance company started requiring one of those over a decade ago.
Ours was 'tested' one time when a neighboring boat in a raft-up ran their furnace late at night and the exhaust drifted inside out boat. Noisy, and it passed the test. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@uralite Have you found and read the manual for that heater. It talks of a required fresh air supply and other things. I would confirm that the install met the requirements before I turned it on and went to sleep. Certainly I would think the open ports meet the fresh air consideration.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Even with our diesel furnace we sleep with it off. Lots of warm bedding and we sleep better. I do fire it up in the morning before the Admiral will leave the warm bed.

Ken