dark dead spots on the chartplotter

Dec 28, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Auckland
The chartplotter (Raymarine A65) started with one dark round spot but now has 3 and they are growing in size, as on the image attached

Why would this be, I keep the cover on it and turn it off when not in use. What does this mean, any suggestions please?

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try calling Raymarine,I had one like that on my PC and was not good but mine were not so round and more like a blob.
Nick

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
for whatever reason the lcd is broken, the dark spots are the liquid seeping through onto the back of the glass.
Any impact that you know of?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You know that the display is toast. I'm not sure about the cost of replacing the display only under factory service -- but that would a lot of money, I would think compared to trying for a replacement. (The warranty isn't an issue anymore, is it?).

You might try: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=raymarine+a65

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
If you ask the "the flat earth society" they would probably say that is the edge of the earth.

Dec 28, 2016
for whatever reason the lcd is broken, the dark spots are the liquid seeping through onto the back of the glass.
Any impact that you know of?
Everything still works OK. It's just those black spots I've to look out for.

Dec 28, 2016
You know that the display is toast. I'm not sure about the cost of replacing the display only under factory service -- but that would a lot of money, I would think compared to trying for a replacement. (The warranty isn't an issue anymore, is it?).

You might try: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=raymarine+a65

Thank you for this assurance, I’ll replace it.

Do you know, will replacement likely be “plug and play” which is about all the technical installation skills I possess.

Ie to unscrew the backing plate on the image attached

Or, will it mean also changing the Antenna, sensors or other things etc.

Thank you for the lead to ebay. Although they are the same model, A65, they have a different look and shape. I can't find any of the older ones with the same shape.

And some have no buttons; are modern ones touch screen ?

Thank you in advance for any help

Attachments

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Try posting your question to the tech support team at forum.raymarine.com. You should receive a correct answer from the techs or engineers in a day or two.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Beyond Dan Y's good advice , it may be cheaper and more plug and play to get a good used or new replacement unit. How old is the unit? Were you the original purchaser? What other elments are plugged in beyond depth, speed, GPS? (e.g., radar?). That's why I pointed to some eBay sites.

I know you are half way around the World, so that may be an issue.

Good luck with the matter. Happy Holidays.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Be sure to protect your instruments with LCD's from freezing. I once called Raymarine about this issue and I was told that these LCD screens can freeze and that they should be removed for the winter.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Good justification to get a new one. More features, blue tooth connectivity, etc.
Actually, they have gotten less expensive, and will interface with some of your older electronics.
I doubt that raymarine would even support an older system anyway.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Be sure to protect your instruments with LCD's from freezing. I once called Raymarine about this issue and I was told that these LCD screens can freeze and that they should beremoved for the winter.

If displays can’t take sub-freezing temps, then they are just defective.

Example: Does a car have to be kept in a heated garage in Minnesota? Cars has a lot of displays that would be subject to destruction or degradation.

It was an excuse which someone tried on me when A friend had an Autohelm autopilot display. The display required replacement every year or two. The woman owner of the boat was about to fork over some money for a replacement display. (Autohelm was absorbed by Raymarine, as most will recall). Autohelm finally admitted they had addressed a general problem and replaced the unit.

Now if a unit was hammered on or otherwise did abused, that’s different. Having said that, the display isn’t supposed to be “crystal champagne glassware”. ;^)))

Dec 28, 2016
Try posting your question to the tech support team at forum.raymarine.com. You should receive a correct answer from the techs or engineers in a day or two.
Thank you for this lead, they've still not activated my account at the forum ... must be on holdays

Dec 28, 2016
Beyond Dan Y's good advice , it may be cheaper and more plug and play to get a good used or new replacement unit. How old is the unit? Were you the original purchaser? What other elments are plugged in beyond depth, speed, GPS? (e.g., radar?). That's why I pointed to some eBay sites.

I know you are half way around the World, so that may be an issue.

Good luck with the matter. Happy Holidays.
Yes. I will get a a new / replacement unit, though even with that I'm concerned about how plug and play it is. No, I'm not the original buyer and no idea how old it is. depth,wind speed, auto pilot and speed

Dec 28, 2016
Be sure to protect your instruments with LCD's from freezing. I once called Raymarine about this issue and I was told that these LCD screens can freeze and that they should be removed for the winter.
Thats interesting. Wouldn't have frozen in Auckland NZ. They make it sound easy to remove the screens.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have always had very good results calling Raymarine and asking for help and this time of
year is better than busy summer.
I had PC with same problem and found very cheap new screen and YouTube to help replace
it and just sold my old dead C-80 but with good screen on EBay story EBay maybe find one.
Nick

Dec 28, 2016
I have always had very good results calling Raymarine and asking for help and this time of
year is better than busy summer.
I had PC with same problem and found very cheap new screen and YouTube to help replace
it and just sold my old dead C-80 but with good screen on EBay story EBay maybe find one.
Nick
Thank you for this comment, I've looked into the new screen and am told "Sourcing new screens for this unit is near impossible, and when they were available, it was big $$$$.
These screens were built with a customized hi-brightness CCFL assembly that isn't available anymore."
Or is $490 + from raymarine for a repair
So it looks like a replacement unit is best.