Cutless log replacement

Apr 26, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 36cc Everett
Boat: ZeeValk; Beneteau 36cc
I just hauled out to do what I thought would be a simple bottom paint, but to my surprise found this! See photo. It doesn't appear to be a cutless bearing. Don't know where it went, but I obviously need to deal with it. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but does the rudder have to be dropped to pull shaft? I'm assuming the shaft needs pulling.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I just hauled out to do what I thought would be a simple bottom paint, but to my surprise found this! See photo. It doesn't appear to be a cutless bearing. Don't know where it went, but I obviously need to deal with it. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but does the rudder have to be dropped to pull shaft? I'm assuming the shaft needs pulling.

looks like another one of those stealth pictures....

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Surprised you couldn't hear or feel that. I was only a few slips down from you (moved from B to Q). Electrolysis was not a problem for me. Be sure to true the shaft and replace the flange.

A new cutless is on my next pull out list.

Good luck
Les

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Most probably the "hat" of the cutless bearing was destroyed by something (caught a line probably) and in the absence of the two little screws holding the bearing from rotating (cannot see them in your picture) it found its way up the shaft tube.
In my Beneteau Oceanis 361, which has the same hull like the 36cc, the last time I removed the shaft I had to drop the rudder.
HOWEVER, what you could try first is, remove the gear box coupling and since the shaft can be pulled out in an angle (as shown in your photo) see if you can pull it out clear of the rudder. I haven't tried that myself when I did that job because my cutlass bearing was in place and therefore the shaft in the middle of the tube (therefore definitely in front of the rudder). Worth trying anyway.

PS: I am wondering if you eventually find the cutless bearing right after the Volvo seal......

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I bought a 2000 361 last year, and it also was missing a cutlass bearing. The owner claimed it never had one. He was the original owner. I was then told that with a Volvo seal you didn't need the cutlass. At times at slow revs, I would get slapping of the shaft against the tube. This spring, I decided to have a cutlass installed before launch. Looking at your pics, you will have to have the shaft realigned. You may also find that the tube is out of round, mine was. Probably caused by the shaft slapping the tube. So the solution was to drill additional holes for more set screws.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You do not need to remove the rudder to replace the cutlass, just the prop. Here is a somewhat useful photo of what you should see. Note that the cutlass bearing fits into the end of the shaft log and is secured by two plastic screws. In this photo the assembly is obscured by the shaft anode. On my shaft log there is a stainless steel collar that caps the log. I would just get the cutlass installed and hope that the shaft was still aligned.

Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
I had the exact same issue on my 38' Citation, only the shaft had enough play in it that it could slap back and forth against the bearing housing. That cut the shaft up bad enough I had to replace it. I wouldn't run without a bearing...