Cutless Bearing

Aug 8, 2010
Oday 34' sloop Deltaville VA
Does anyone know the outside diameter of the cutless bearing on a O'Day 34?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
For my O'day 35 I used this:
Johnson Duramax Cutless Bearing (BAIT) 1" x 1-3/8" x 4"

Aug 8, 2010
Oday 34' sloop Deltaville VA
For my O'day 35 I used this:
Johnson Duramax Cutless Bearing (BAIT) 1" x 1-3/8" x 4"
Thanks, that was my guess. I'm 3 hours from my boat making a tool to extract that bearing. So I don't have that information.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Thanks, that was my guess. I'm 3 hours from my boat making a tool to extract that bearing. So I don't have that information.
I extracted the old bearing by removing two set screws from the strut. I then removed the prop. shaft (it needed to be replaced anyway). I then took a hacksaw blade and CAREFULLY cut from inside the old bearing to slit the bearing (not the strut). Once I had cut two slits in the old bearing, I used a screwdriver to pry an edge of the slit in the old bearing away from the strut. Using a pair of needlenose, I grabbed the edge that I had pried, and twisted the old bearing. Twisting reduced the outer diameter of the old bearing within the strut, and I then pulled the old bearing out of the strut.

After I removed the bearing, I cleaned up the inside of the strut with some emery cloth.

I installed the new strut with a bar clamp and two blocks of wood (pine 2x4). I positioned one block of wood against the hole in the strut. I positioned the new cutlass bearing against the other hole (I believe that one end of the bearing was chamfered to help when installing) and a block of wood against the new bearing. I used the bar clamp to reduce the distance between the two blocks of wood. DO NOT USE A HAMMER, or you will end up either straightening your strut or buying a new one, AND you'll trash the new cutlass bearing.

Don't forget to reinstall the set screws.