Registered users don't see ads
  1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Cruising: motoring DDW at 6 knots in 6 knots of breeze, on the cool North Atlantic,...

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by TomY, Aug 7, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. All U Get

All U Get

Joined Oct 2, 2008
    2,589 posts, 309 likes
    Pearson/ 530
    US Strafford, NH
    Finally a cool breeze for the evening.

2. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    45 posts, 38 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    A912272E-5AFA-43C7-AB29-A67BE9AF41D1.jpeg Well, for what it is worth, it has been hot here in your home waters too!
    I will say that as a MoBo’r we do have a generator and air conditioning but running a generator for just AC is not recommended. You want to keep the generator loaded!
    So, unless we are at a dock and plugged in, we get a few hours of AC during the day.
    I’m not complaining though and neither are our dogs!
    By the way, at 5 3/4 knots we burn about .75 gallons per hour, not much more than our sailboat did. The problem is that we never just move at that speed... 7 knots is just under 2 gallons per hour and 8 is 3 gallons per hour. Now we are getting toward that “barrels of fuel” label...

TomY likes this.
  3. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    83 posts, 20 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    We moved from Tucson AZ to north Idaho last year. It was 118 degrees in Tucson when we left. Closed Sky Harbor in Phoenix because it was over 120 deg. Yesterday it was 104 here in Idaho, and 94 in Phoenix, 89 in Tucson. What the heck?! (Monsoon time, but still shocking). Going to swim in Pond Oreille today. Waters perfect

4. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    953 posts, 147 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    Spent some time on Pond Oreille back in the day. Beautiful country.

5. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,188 posts, 718 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    We had less luck, Rick on provisions. We spent an afternoon in Scituate enjoying their 'Heritage Days'. Unaware of the event, we were lucky to get the last mooring.

We walked around town and except for street food for the event, we didn't see a 'grocery store'. Is there a convenient grocery in Scituate?

Curious about the lack of shore side groceries, I began to ask locals in Gloucester for the local grocery store: They (2-3 folks) told me no such thing within the downtown.

Then in beautiful Rockport (the lesser,...) :), we found the same case. A gent that had been there for decades told us the only thing close was the 7/11. Processed prepared food there, but no groceries, produce, etc.

In fact in Boothbay, a place where we regularly provisioned just off the docks years ago at a local small grocery, I found the space filled with a tourist shop. Like we found elsewhere, the 'local' grocery was now outside of the town center.

The solution for us (like in Sandwich-16 minute walk in 94 degree heat with groceries?), was Uber. :)

This is just a minor inconvenience for the cruising sailor. I look at it as a resident of a seaside village. The trend, decades old, is clear.

Coastal towns and villages are becoming more seasonal and year round residents, more rare. When we do find local suppliers in our travels, we try to support them.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat