Cruising Chute

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
How many of you guys use a cruising chute? Do you think there is merit to buying and using a cruising chute for the 260

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
We use ours quite frequently while headed off the wind in anything up to 15 knots. We have a sock that make ssetting & dousing a breeze.

Matt

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
How often do you say, 'Man, I wish I had a bit more speed while sailing downwind in this lighter air'?

I could see that happening in the Saronic Golf, any further east and you've got all the pressure you could every want!

But other places a good choice. The 260 is generally underpowered, and a kite really helps off the wind.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017
How often do you say, 'Man, I wish I had a bit more speed while sailing downwind in this lighter air'?

I could see that happening in the Saronic Golf, any further east and you've got all the pressure you could every want!

But other places a good choice. The 260 is generally underpowered, and a kite really helps off the wind.
Your dead right, a nearly all of nothing type of area, I'm impressed you now it so well. I think one will be put on the shopping list.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Your dead right, a nearly all of nothing type of area, I'm impressed you now it so well. I think one will be put on the shopping list.
Thanks. I’ve sailed in the area many times, it really is one of my favorite places on earth. It’s amazing how much the golf protects you from the prevailing breeze, particularly in the summer when the Meltimi is blowing. But even today I looked up the breeze on my favorite Nav/weather app, and just what I expected!

C626FF17-55AB-44D9-8DBF-39FB5C170701.png

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have one and love flying it on my 260 although I rarely get to do so. Here’s a screen shot of what Waterspeed recorded. On the actual file you can see where my speed went from 1.3 knots to over 5 pretty much instantly. The whump sounded great but the kick in the pants when I raised the sock was the best part. Have fun!

Attachments

Nov 10, 2017
I have one and love flying it on my 260 although I rarely get to do so. Here’s a screen shot of what Waterspeed recorded. On the actual file you can see where my speed went from 1.3 knots to over 5 pretty much instantly. The whump sounded great but the kick in the pants when I raised the sock was the best part. Have fun!
They are fun when they are the size of a handkerchief, My last one was 175 metres square, (circa 1880 square feet in your money) was sight when flying but a proper b**ch to snuff on your own.

Can you please tell your the size of your chute, I would not want to over size it.
Your recording looks as though you was having fun, do you remember the wind speed?

Nov 10, 2017
Thanks. I’ve sailed in the area many times, it really is one of my favorite places on earth. It’s amazing how much the golf protects you from the prevailing breeze, particularly in the summer when the Meltimi is blowing. But even today I looked up the breeze on my favorite Nav/weather app, and just what I expected!

View attachment 145855
You picked a good day, we had a blow the day before. The winds can be quite something but the seas are something else, never seen one to be more than 3mtr even in a bf8/9 but a very short fetch and it can come from all directions with the rebound and wind bends of the surrounding islands, giving a washing machine effect. Thank goodness the Med around here is more or less tideless or life would be a lot more interesting.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
They are fun when they are the size of a handkerchief, My last one was 175 metres square, (circa 1880 square feet in your money) was sight when flying but a proper b**ch to snuff on your own.

Can you please tell your the size of your chute, I would not want to over size it.
Your recording looks as though you was having fun, do you remember the wind speed?
Mine was built for my H23. I sold the H23 but kept the chute. So it’s way smaller than it should be but it’s way too cool to get rid of. I don’t know what the wind speed was at the time of the Waterspeed graphic. We had the main down so we were being pushed along at 1.3 knots under bare poles. I’m posting the link to a video I made 2 summers ago for now and will upload the video from that day to YouTube when I get the chance.
FYI I didn’t buy my spinnaker for speed. I bought mine for the challenge of learning to use it and because I think they are way cool. Every other H260 owner seems to feel they are just the ticket in light air, though.

Nov 10, 2017
It
Mine was built for my H23. I sold the H23 but kept the chute. So it’s way smaller than it should be but it’s way too cool to get rid of. I don’t know what the wind speed was at the time of the Waterspeed graphic. We had the main down so we were being pushed along at 1.3 knots under bare poles. I’m posting the link to a video I made 2 summers ago for now and will upload the video from that day to YouTube when I get the chance.
FYI I didn’t buy my spinnaker for speed. I bought mine for the challenge of learning to use it and because I think they are way cool. Every other H260 owner seems to feel they are just the ticket in light air, though.[/QUOTE
That is such a great sight, it's so pleasing when up and flying so well.
I would be pleased if you and anyone else out there to advise on the sq/ft of their chutes

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron

Almost 1900 SQFT what was underneath that sail, had to be at lease 45 ft of hull

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Nice looking ship, that would indeed fly that much sail nicely, put a smile on your face I bet , I am guessing I = 52, J = 20

Nov 10, 2017
Nice looking ship, that would indeed fly that much sail nicely, put a smile on your face I bet :biggrin:
Everytime, but unfortunately age and arthritis has taken over so now shore based and missing the sailing hence the 260. I am really looking forward till I launch in April.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Ah yes father time has a way with us, but it's good that you still have the sailing flame within you, we as well are anxiously awaiting spring here as well, April is the time of preparation, first week of May is usually when we launch. I believe the spinnaker sizing is (J x 1.8) x I

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I wish I were more knowledgeable and more help. My expertise in sailing is limited to successfully sailing without losing a single passenger and returning to the correct slip without destroying the boat. (I’ve dinged it up but so far haven’t destroyed it.) (And that could change at any moment.) My trips are limited to day sailing. I don’t race but love being on the water under sail and learning new things.

Nov 10, 2017
I wish I were more knowledgeable and more help. My expertise in sailing is limited to successfully sailing without losing a single passenger and returning to the correct slip without destroying the boat. (I’ve dinged it up but so far haven’t destroyed it.) (And that could change at any moment.) My trips are limited to day sailing. I don’t race but love being on the water under sail and learning new things.
You carry on friend and enjoy your time on the water. As long as the head stays young and you can remember where you live, the body should follow on with little reluctance. And for learning we should never stop, only the fool that thinks it knows it all.

Nov 10, 2017
Ah yes father time has a way with us, but it's good that you still have the sailing flame within you, we as well are anxiously awaiting spring here as well, April is the time of preparation, first week of May is usually when we launch. I believe the spinnaker sizing is (J x 1.8) x I
Thanks for the info . . . It looks like about 370 sq ft is a good size, unless anyone comes along and tells me different.