Cruise ship rescues sailboat crew at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Where did this take place Mark?
I just watched it and the commercial had sound but not the film clip.
Didn't see any sign of a sea anchor or storm sails.....

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
That's a good link Ed -- USA Today said the 39 footer "had taken several large breaking waves over the bow, had lost power and was slowly taking on water, about 256 miles northeast of Bermuda."
LOL, that sounds like my boat on any given weekend...except for the middle of the ocean part of course! I'm sure it'll wash up on shore somewhere.

gpdno

May 16, 2011
Watkins 27 Venice
S/V Sanctuary

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — Watchstanders at the Coast Guard 5th District command center helped coordinate the rescue of five people 256 miles northeast of Bermuda with the assistance of the cruise ship Norwegian Gem, Saturday morning.

At approximately 7 a.m., watchstanders received notification from a member of the sailing vessel Sanctuary, stating that they had taken several large breaking waves over the bow, had lost power and were slowly taking on water.

A C-130 Hercules crew from Air Station Elizabeth City was launched to locate and assist.
The reporting source said that the crew all had life jackets on, but their life raft had washed overboard.

Using AMVER, the Automated Mutual-assistance Vessel Rescue system, the Coast Guard asked the captain of the Norwegian Gem to assist the sailors in distress.
The Norwegian Gem diverted course, was directed to the scene by the C-130 crew, and successfully rescued the five people from the Sanctuary.

Sanctuary was located approximately 350 nautical miles from New York in the North Atlantic Ocean, two hours away from Norwegian Gem, the closest vessel in the area. Norwegian Gem’s Captain Hakan Svedung immediately diverted course to rescue the four men and one woman aboard. Upon reaching the Sanctuary, Norwegian Gem encountered extreme weather conditions with wind force up to 40 knots and large swells, making it challenging to launch the ship’s rescue boat. Once in the water, the rescue boat made contact with the sailboat and quickly transferred the five occupants who were Canadians.

The boat was a Beneteau 391.

Sep 25, 2008
Bristol 43.3 Perth Amboy
Cause for SOS?

I wonder why they were abandoning ship?
Conditions certainly not too extreme.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

40 knots, and waves breaking over the bow. Sounds like a fairly typical summer thunderstorm in the gulf. Lost power? What the hell were they doing motoring anyhow?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Maybe they were soft Canadians?:D

This was a joke BTW! Anyone that live way up there with all that white stuff and polar bears has got to be tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Either it was a charter boat, or it was very well insured, because i couldnt see anyone abandoning a boat in those conditions, unless they were not going to take the loss. As for the waves breaking over the bow, they cant have been that big, as they still have a mast, if they had been shipping it green across the bow, they would be minus the rig, and a lot of other deck fittings. It kind of reminds me of a guy who was sailing with me once, and he was telling me about a delivery he was doing, the mast hadnt been properly secured by the boat yard, and several hours into the delivery, the mast fell off, and was hanging held to the boat, by only the running rig, he said, they decieded rather than try to secure the mast, they would just cut it free, and motor to the nearest port. So they did that, i asked him if he would have done the same thing if it was his boat, he said "no way, i wouldnt have given up on my own mast, i would have recovered it" his attitude was, its not my boat, so why go to all the trouble.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is an incredibly effective AMVER response! Congratulations to COSPAS-SARSAT, USCG and the entire first responder community! The plan worked!

I don't know boys, if I was taking on water 263 miles from gale-magnet Bermuda, my engine had died, the bilge pumps couldn't get it done, and the liferaft had parted and disappeared, I think abandoning ship would be a prudent option. Especially if the crew was sick or freaking out. Every captain has had one of those sailing adventures where she realizes her crew is just not up to the challenge. This is the extreme outcome.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Maybe they were soft Canadians?:D

:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing: :D :D

Nope, up here if we get 40 knots and waves breaking over the bow, there's another wave crashing through the cockpit at the same time. The Great Lakes are notorious for steep waves and very short period. How do you think so many freighters have ended up on the bottom or strewn all over the beaches, over the past century.

In fact, Lake Michigan set an all time record just a few weeks ago, at the south buoy of 25 ft. waves and at 7 second period.... the rest of the Lakes were similar, but not quite as high.

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
isnt 40 knot the wind in wich we are suposed to sail in up here in canada! seriously, anyone tired or scared of wheater realising that heavy wheater sailing in their big boat is not their cup of thea, give me a shout, ill give you my 23 footer and will gladly take your big boat, dont just abandon it, it breaks my heart every time! or at least sendme the cordinate to the boat and drop the anchor down, ill get it back for ya!

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
Sooooo... There is a lot of criticism here from armchair sailors and folks who weren't there.
A captain's first responsibility is to the safety of his crew and secondly to the vessel. You have no right to criticize the actions and decisions of the master of the vessel unless you were there...and even then, you were not the master ... If the skipper crew were able, I am sure they would have saved both themselves AND the boat.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Cat38, Well said. Unless you've spent the last 24 hours with that captain and crew there is no way you can make a judgement about their situation.
Later, if it comes out that their actions and reasons for requesting rescue are suspect, then speak up. At that time there is something to learn.
Ray

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I was in the merchant marine for fifteen years, and i have known people to fake heart attacks to get off a ship, we had a transfer once, where we took a guy from an outward bound ship, who had a leg injury, we were heading for port, the following day he forgot he had a leg injury, and was walking about normally. Attended a sailboat mayday, to find the captain happily sailing the boat, and on the VHF he told us he handnt sent a mayday, and was fine, only to find, his crewman, was so sea sick, that he had set off the epirb, in the cabin, in order to get off.

Really, if you are not familiar enough with your boat, to be able to repair anything that needs repaired, and you are not capable of running in any weather, you really shouldnt be a couple of hundred miles from shore, they were slowly taking on water, did they have no battery power for their bilge pump, did they not have a manual bilge pump, because being that far off shore with no manual bilge pump is asking for trouble, were they so caught up in the push button world that they forgot you could use a bucket to bail out, did they have a bucket, why did they have the life raft on the deck, the boat is your best liferaft, you only get the liferaft out, when your toe rails are dipping under the water, and their is no chance your boat is going to stay afloat. Why were they running on the bare poles, did they not have a storm jib, or a storm sail, pretty stupid going out their this time of year without them, pretty stupid going out their any time of year without them. Running on the bare poles is a last resort, Looking at the pictures, it almost looks like they have the sail cover on the main, they have been sailing on the jib prior to this.

My guess would be they were making their way down to the caribean, which at this time of year, an awful lot of boats, head in that direction. Most of them, hug the US coast, and duck into marinas all the way down, some even go down the intercoastal, but quite a few, make the run out to Bermuda, then from Bermuda down to the caribean. If these people were doing that, then they were only a short way into their trip. Lots of people that have large sailboats, and take them out to sea, are often in way deeper than their own limitations, and after a few days of sea sickness, no sleep, eating cold food, that you cant keep down, it wears everyone down. A young guy sailed with me once, we were going out to Bermuda, and he was full of confidence, their was nothing he couldnt do, but when we hit really heavy weather, to the point we had the spreader in the water, it was a different story, he kept throwing up, he couldnt keep anything down. A boats capability, is limited by the crew capability, dosent matter what type of boat it is, or what equipment you have on board, if the crew cant take it, then you shouldnt even try it. People that do coastal sailing, going out for a day sail, and talking it all over in the bar that night, find that eight days running, in all weather, is a totaly different ball game.

When i lived in the UK, i was a member of a boat club, and some of the people in the club, got sponsorship to take part in the row across the atlantic, the skipper was experienced, but none of his crew had any offshore experience, for their training, they chose not row a boat on the sea, but to practice on rowing machines, they all got out to the canary islands, where the boat was delivered to, took one look at that big ocean, and the four crew decided they were not going, and flew back, leaving the skipper there, then they told a load of lies about the skipper to try to make out it was his fault they gave up, where in truth, they just didnt know what they were getting into.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I, for one, will not blame the captain. He was in the hot seat and made the call. As captain of my boat, I've sailed into port on "interesting" days when my boat was fully capable of continuing but my first mate was under the weather. It's such a shame that my first mate wants to and loves to sail but has a tough time whenever there is a second set of waves. But she has figured out that after three days, she's good to go.

So, if the crew was sick and only one person was manning the bilge pump then maybe it's time to call for a pick up. Then someone has to furl the sails to make the pick up easier on the rescuers. They weren't in dire straits at pick up time but do we know how much water was IN the boat when they left?

Personally, I can stand it until it's time to put on dry(er) clothes and going below affects me until I get back on deck. So yeah, I know how cruddy you feel when it's lumpy outside and nothing's left in your stomach.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I agree with some of the comments above, and won't blame the captain, especially with out having all the information.

But... I find it interesting that if the boat was taking on water, and it took the Gem 2 hours to get there, plus time to launch a rescue craft, it didn't look like she was sitting that low in the water. Granted they were being bobbed around a bit.

Also with no obvious sea anchor, isn't that the time when you would want to heave-to? wouldn't that help?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hard to heave to when you don't have sails up, isn't it? You may recall the unusual October winter weather the northeast experienced last Saturday - I was in New York and Connecticut for that. Unexpected heavy weather that popped up quickly from two systems that combined for a classic nor'easter. Don't be so quick to blame - you weren't there, were you?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing: :D :D

Nope, up here if we get 40 knots and waves breaking over the bow, there's another wave crashing through the cockpit at the same time. The Great Lakes are notorious for steep waves and very short period. How do you think so many freighters have ended up on the bottom or strewn all over the beaches, over the past century.

In fact, Lake Michigan set an all time record just a few weeks ago, at the south buoy of 25 ft. waves and at 7 second period.... the rest of the Lakes were similar, but not quite as high.

Sorry Scott, this was a bad joke in response to a comment made by one of the SBO contributors on a different thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.