Crossing Georgia Straight

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 Vancouver
We keep our 1974 Catalina 27 in Vancouver, BC. Entering my second year with her (been sailing 16' from Jericho for years), my goal this summer is to sail across the Georgia Straight into the gulf islands. I've studied the charts and plotted waypoint routes on MacENC through Dodd Narrows and Gabriola, Porlier and Active passes. Have compared course headings for these routes against wind directions. Have saved tide tables for these passes and plotted flood and ebb tide arrows onto my charts. Have sat at the front of BC ferries w my laptop running MacENC w my GPS puck and compared route to visual bearings. Have plotted major hazards on my charts (Including Thrasher rock, etc) as well safe anchorages. Have obtained my Marine Radio Operator's Card and programmed my MMSI number.

And I'm still nervous!!

Would greatly appreciate hearing from skippers of similar sized boats about their experience with these passages. Time, sea state, preferred passes and routes to take, etc.

Am sure I just need to get out there and do it with a hardy crew, which I have. But hearing. The advice of more experienced skippers who've experienced it first hand would be reassuring.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Been in the strait enough times to have great respect. Obviously nowhere near as many times as local residents. Have a full fuel tank, and food. You're looking at somewhere around 6-7 hours worst case. We've been in Active Pass in a 32' when there were three ferries, two scheduled and one "extra". They sure aren't small when they're a couple hundred feet away.

As for prep, besides fear, what's holding you back?

Cheers
Gary

May 11, 2004
RAPTOR Hotfoot 20 Ghost Lake
Done it many times and there's not all that much to it.
Check the weather but you'd do that anytime you're sailing.
IMHO the easiest passes are Active & Porlier. Gabriola & Dodd Narrows can be a little more interesting. Both have small windows and Dodd can have a lot of traffic.
The secret is timing. I think it's good advice, if you're not experienced, to time your transit so you are in current of 2 knots or less. If you do that it doesn't matter much if it's a flood or ebb. If you're not sure of the route through follow another boat ( one with more draft than you is always a good choice ) but the passes are well charted.
Do it! You'll be surprised at how easy it was.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
You could try travelling north of Bowen and across to Nanaimo, so you could cross the ferries there, they are really moving out in the strait and it is better to never try to cross paths. You can change plans and dock in Gibson's, moor at Plumper Cove, or even get a head start fri night and make it to Gambier Island's south bays to anchor or dock at the famous Union Steamship CO, on Bowen Is.

An AIS app will help you and use a decent radar reflector. Bring enough fuel, as Meriachee suggests, it could be a very boring crossing sometimes.

If you hook up with another boater you will enjoy the trip more, too.

YVR Guy, Doug, has a good blog I think you will enjoy if you look him up on this site.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
A few good reference books

From what you wrote it appears you're a detail-oriented person so getting a few reference books should help with trip planning. These are what I'd consider the most useful and, in your situation doing this for the first time, just about a "must-have":

First off, the 'Current Atlas" for Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Gerogia" by non other than your own Government. The newer version has a spiral wound binding so one doesn't have to worry about the binding falling apart from constant use.

This book has plates (drawings/chartlets, whatever) that show the direction and strength of currents for various times of the day. There is a required companion booklet "Washburne's Tables" that is issued every year that provides which plates should be used for a given date and time. The Current Atlas can be used year after year while the Washburn's Tables need to be re-purchased annually.

"The Wind Came All Ways", another Environment Canada publication, is a good companion to the Current Atlas because it has plates that shows the wind directions, and to some degree the relative wind strength, based on certain weather conditions.

"Marine Weather Hazards Manual", still another Environment Canada publication. While this isn't as useful for "typical" trip planning as the above, it is very useful for locating areas where exceptional marine conditions occur, for example, near Sisters Island on a summer afternoon (see page 51).

For the first trip across, I'd use the Current Atlas to determine what the current is along the proposed route and use the "Wind Came All Ways" to determine the expected wind angle. Given the wind angle and the forecast for the day (I know, 5 to 25 knots out of the south - ever since they lost a number of commercial fishing boats in Queen Charlotte Sound several years ago they've been very careful about being non-specific as possible), anyway, do the best you can to figure a boat speed and a estimated speed over ground.

As you crunch the numbers you'll be able to see the options better. An early morning departure on an ebb current might be a motorboat show but get you across with the least hassle. The return trip in the afternoon on a flood should hopefully be a sleigh ride.

Attachments

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Reading this thread brings back old memories. I first crossed in 1970 in an 18' sloop with a small cabin. Later took the same boat as far north as Bella Bella with a friend. Compass, tide tables, charts and pilot books only.

My second boat was 25' and better equipped - I had a depth sounder as well as the compass. I used to leave False Creek on a Friday evening and sail across to Porlier Pass. The range lights made it pretty easy and I liked solo night sailing. There used to be an abandoned dock on the North end of Galiano where I tied up to get some sleep, continuing the next day where I wished. No vhf or any other electronics on either boat.

It is a lot easier now - Gps, Ais, plotters Ipads etc - but it didn't seem too difficult back then. You just plotted your position on the chart as you traveled.

Murray's tables are more popular than Washburne's, outselling them by a large margin, at least in Victoria.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Two years ago I had never crossed the Strait. As with many things, once you have done it, it gets easier. Now I must be up to a couple of dozen with a handful of times solo.

Wind and time are the 2 vitals. I always like to cross when the barometer is steady or on the rise, winds are less than 25 knts and forecasted for that night and hopefully the next day to be decreasing. Temperature and precipitation are of little concern except if it ever drops below freezing. You can always dress for them. However, decks become treacherous with ice.

The problem with any of the passes is timing. I try to arrive about a half hour before slack preferably with a tide change in my favour. It takes 5 - 7 hours to transit. So time of slack and number of daylight hours will dictate if it is at all possible in a sailboat. And if possible whether you have time to sail or need the iron genny just to make the Pass depending on wind velocity and direction. There are only a few spots to moor on the outside of the Gulf Islands. I will not cross in the dark. Logs/deadheads do not show up on AIS, radar, or chartplotter. At the best of times they are difficult to see if there is any chop at all. As you are crossing the strait, current will always be on your beam until you approach the Pass. So it will never assist in the crossing. All of the passes that you mention flood North.

I crossed solo East to West 2 weeks ago. Slack was about 4 hours after sunrise and not long before dusk, so I decided to stay overnight in Nanaimo and make Dodds the next morning. I usually transit Porlier and had never been to Nanaimo. I followed all my rules of the past except one. I heard but neglected to hoist in the forecast for Howe Sound because I usually was well South of it. To get to Nanaimo you cross it. Once out of English Bay the wind increased to about 35 knts+. And the forecast of "gale force outflow from Howe Sound" registered. Once in the middle of the strait the wind expanded and things were far less exciting.

A few final words of wisdom: Take care with tugs towing log booms in or out of your selected Pass. Ferries pretty well stick to their charted routes. An integrated AIS is invaluable. Have fun.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
One has to be comfortable with one's own abilities and the boat and gear you have.

Would greatly appreciate hearing from skippers of similar sized boats about their experience with these passages. Time, sea state, preferred passes and routes to take, etc.

....Am sure I just need to get out there and do it with a hardy crew, which I have. But hearing. The advice of more experienced skippers who've experienced it first hand would be reassuring.
Since the weather is still inclement and wintery, this is a good time to read a book and this is an interesting one: "North to Alaska by Oar, BIJABOJI", Betty Lowman Carey, Harbour Publishing Company, c 2004, 287 pages.

This is a story of Betty Carey who in 1937 when she was only 22 years old, rowed, by herself in an open dugout canoe, all the way from Garden Bay on Guemes Island (near Anacortes, WA) to Ketchikan.

This was in 1937. She had only a few charts and notes from talking to others familiar with the area. No GPS. The country was, and most of it is still, unpopulated wilderness. Huge distances between any settlements (and still is). No radio weather advisories. And she did the whole trip solo, by herself.

No sail and no outboard, jus a pair of oars.

Part way up on her trip she capsized and lost virtually everything.

This was a very good read.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I've studied the charts and plotted waypoint routes on MacENC through Dodd Narrows and Gabriola, Porlier and Active passes.
You've certainly done your homework on this but the only two things you'll really need to cross (this sumer) are the 2014 volume 5 CHS Canadian Tide and Current Tables and the appropriate CHS charts. NEVER use anything other than CHS charts. Sorry but mine are on the boat so can't give you the chart numbers. Using a GPS going across gives you a further feeling of confidence. Look up marinas and call ahead for reservations if you're going at a busy time like a weekend. The only other thing is to BE SURE to get the weather report before you go.

I's suggest stopping over in Silva Bay for the night and going through Gabriola Pass the next dayfor your first time. Watch your times for the pass and everything will be slow and lazy plus it doesn't see a lot of traffic.

Lost track of how many times but we've gone across. Crossings have varied from almost dying of boredom (no wind) and heat in August to gale force winds on the Labour Day crossings. We crossed in 2:45 under sail only on one Labour Day.

PS: be sure to take a camera as lately we've seen a lot of playful porpoises and, unfortunately, Orcas looking for lunch.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I forgot to mention Bowen. We've launched and left from Lions Gate, and used the trip to Bowen as a "mini shakedown". From Bowen it's a pretty quick hop along the ferry route to Nanaimo. While maybe not the most expedient, the route allows us a good opportunity to get the boat straightened away so we can enjoy the islands.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 Vancouver
Wow, thank you! Truly. Suddenly I am not alone in this first crossing. You have all been amazingly generous and supportive in your feedback and recommendations of resources.

I have certainly been planning on Bowen, Plumper Cove (have a friend w a place on Keats) and the fingers on S coast of Gambier. Intend to do those early season to get things sorted out b4 attempting the crossing.

Am in final stages of finishing winter projects of sewing all new cabin cushions and varnishing all the interior teak. Along w a new Selden bowsprit for the asym and new traveller, she's going to be in prime shape for summer and am excited to get farther afield this year. Stayed within Point Atkinson last summer while learning my way around first keelboat.

Thanks again skippers! : )

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
Crossing the Strait of Georgia is not rocket science but there are a couple of thing to keep in mind. All of the above advice offered by others is valid. I would like to add:
- Always check the VHS weather channels before and during the trip. Remember it takes about 5-6 hours. It seems that I always have the wind on the nose when going from T-bird to Nanaimo forcing me to motor sail with the main pulled over to one side to steady her.
- Always monitor Vessel Traffic Services on VHS 12 east of Cape Roger Curtis and VHS 11 west of Cape Roger Curtis. You can track the larger vessels from their reports and call them directly or call VTS to clarify crossing or possible conflicts.
- You do not need to worry about the BC ferries and cruise ships. They are very courteous and accommodating but keep an eye out for the fast power boaters running on autopilot without anyone at the helm and the tugs with tows. The tugs are slow but sometimes they trail lines behind the tows. Never go between a tug and her tow!
- Night crossings are very easy once you get comfortable because all the power boaters stay home and the commercial operators are extra vigilant. Very important to monitor VTS, keep your cabin lights OFF (night vision) and watch for navigation lights.
- I go over to Nanaimo about ten times per year for almost twenty years, half the time at night (leaving after dinner and arriving around midnight). Often the water is full of bio-phosphorescence near Gabriola Island and sometimes in the winter you can see the Aurora Borealis to the north. Dolphin sighting are getting more common.
- The only potential conflict I’ve had was when the Seattle fishing vessel “Silver Dolphin” (sister ship of the “Northwestern”, Deadliest Catch TV) was bearing down on my port side doing about 20kts one sunny afternoon while I was under full sails. They ignored my VHS hails and finally VTS gave them royal sh_t and they altered course. Don’t think it would have been a collision but a close call at less than 100 yards/metres.