crack under traveler - deck rises on stbd side

Nov 2, 2015
Hunter 37.5 Legend Marina del Rey, CA
This is an active "crack" on my 1993 Hunter 37.5 Legend
companion way.jpg
that opens up when the traveler is under load on the starboard corner of the companionway. Anyone else ever have this problem? Does anyone know if this area inside the liner has any components that would be strengthened for load such as the winch pads? Trying to figure out how to fix this and stop the movement.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Kathy, I posted the same thing without ID'ing you or the boat. I think he has to cut away part of the liner to see what's going on in there. No, that shouldn't happen. There is probably some residual damage, like tabbing, that came away when the starboard side was impacted. Shouldn't be too hard to rectify. I *assume* from mine that the inner liner and deck are bonded there.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Your gonna need some major structure rehabilitation. You could address from top remove traveler and hatch top and cut open top then reglass from top and laminate existing top back on or cut out bottom (headliner) and tabb front that side. Dusty and epoxy tends to drip

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Hard to day for sure how serious it is based on the info given. Is the cracked area just an interior finish shell or is it integral with the deck structure? It looks like it is just an interior liner. How much does the deck deflect under load? Do not get me wrong: That is not normal.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You will get some good ideas here, however, I don't think there are many, if any, people here capable of assessing the structural integrity you are concerned about.
This isn't an issue I'd trust to the average surveyor either.

You might start with Hunter after showing them the pictures. I'm just guessing but it seems impossible to figure out the fix until the deck is opened up.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Just from the single picture, I would be very worried. Then when you add that there "is an active crack when the traveler is under load on the star. side" I would not sail until repaired. This looks like a major structural problem could result in the traveler pulled from cabin top, boom swinging wildly into the side stays, possibly bringing down the mast. Heaven help anyone in the boom or the attached shrapnel's path. Bring in a competent pro in for advice.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
The good news guys is that Kathy has one of the best in the area who did a great job on the race damage to the starboard side. He's going to open it up. It's probably tabbing, but he has been all over the area to starboard of it, so he knows what's there. Whatever it is will be obvious. I wouldn't be too quick to assume this is a major issue. A little squirt of epoxy and it'll be good as new ;):clap:
Edit to add: the frustrating part for the crew is that they have been doing really good this season with I think three firsts and a bunch of other podium finishes after the boat was knocked out of commission last season for repairs. And, this is only the second year they have had her. Hope for their part that this is a quick repair so she can get back out on the course quickly.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Boy Rick I hate to sound like Chicken Little, but it also should not be assumed that the breakage in nothing to worry about. Boats should not do that. The fact that the boat was damaged and repaired a short time ago on the same side puts up another red flag.
Structure in boats that are built w/ "pans that are tabbed in--small areas of the pan glued to hull-- that results in a hollow area between an inner and outer structure. The plusses include less material, less weight, and reduces much labor in production. Three major strengths loss are in impact, loss of any part of the structure you lose a lot, and in abrasion. (not much thickness. to scrape off). Add to the fact that a boat that is designed w/ a deck is that most or all of the whole depends on the whole of the structure. For example: Lose or damage a part of the hull and the deck is at risk as its all part of the same.
It is easy to miss something when under pressure to "get er done". The boat is now telling you something is wrong. It needs to be inspected closely by someone that understands how a given boat is designed and built. Then repaired properly. It needs more than a "makeup artist" and a squirt of expoy. Especially if the boat is going racing.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Of course, MM and she will get a thorough inspection. I do have confidence it will be inspected and repaired properly since I saw what the repair tech did before in terms of a proper inspection. That this appeared isn't a critique of the prior repair. It's just one of those subsequent irritating things that require some supplemental work. But, your caution is well taken.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The advice to have this checked is the best by a competent repair facility. Is this a major concern you bet your little bippy it is. A crack is one thing but when separation for example in the photo above pulling apart then that is a clear sign it is structural.