Correct Thimbles for Eye Splices in Heat-set Dyneema?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Just in case anyone was wondering... yes, I'm crazy. Now that we have that established... yes, I'm planning to make standing rigging (just lower shrouds to start) for my little sailboat which doesn't need anything that fancy.
Why am I doing it? Because I like to learn... even it costs me money. Why would I risk wasting money? Since I got my New England STS HTR 3mm at 40% off it will actually cost less than 1/8" 1x19 wire because I don't have to pay for swaging. BTW, the breaking strength (and 40% safe working load) of 3mm STS HSR is nearly double what it is for 1x19 stainless wire rope in the same diameter. I would have liked to use 4mm but its not available in that size, and 5mm would be triple over-kill.
Anyway, to the real question... I'll be using locking Brummel Splices to make the eyes. I've seen multiple examples of spliced Dyneema using Sail-makers thimbles (fully enclosed), but I've also seen splices using standard thimbles (open-ended). Is there a 'correct' choice here? I'm assuming the Sail-makers thimbles are 'safer', less likely to crush... but I highly doubt the tension on my little rig would crush an open-ended thimble.
Obviously, a big deal is cost. Standard thimbles are only about $2 a pair, where Sail-makers thimbles are almost $6 each.
Here is a really good source of info on Dyneema used for rigging including real-world test data on stretch and different rope makers' offering. Look about 3/4 down the page and you'll a breaking test on a back-stay that was taken out of service after several years and still achieved impressive results.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK some thoughts on your question and textile rigging in general..

To your question I would use sailmaker's thimbles. The cheap ones are cheap because they are cheap. Pressed out of a hunk of metal, they can crush. Will they? Who knows.

Dynemma/Spectra is great to use on backstays that are widely adjustable. This is quite common; both our boats do this.

Now dyneema stretches (creeps) much more than stainless steel. If you see or hear of a boat with dyneema shrouds, it is actually Dyneema DUX, a special pre-stretched version of dyneema. Costly.

EDIT - I see you are talking about STS. That's better. You'll be fine on the C22 with that. But I would have gone with 4mm. Typically you up-size 33% on SS to dyneema diameters.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Jack,
I'm a big fan of Colligo Marine... the deadeyes, Dynex-Dux and all... just much too expensive an option for my little boat. It was just dumb luck that I ran across the NE STS HSR while looking at other lines. Its the only pre stretched and annealed Dyneema that WM distributes at half the cost of Dynex Dux... and then 40% off that when you catch the bulk rope sale. I found real world feedback on various forums that the STS HTS performs just as well as the Dynex Dux, the only draw back to any synthetic line vs stainless wire rope is a 4 - 5 year life span vs 10 to 20 years.
I'll probably end up going with the sail-makers thimbles... more expensive, but I'm sure I can re-use them when I re-splice and re-rig in 5 years. I'm sticking with my wire fore-stay because of the furling unit, but I got enough 3mm HSR to make all my other stays for less than $120. A complete rigging for the C-22 is over $400. I'll need at least 14 of the sail-makers thimbles at roughly 5.89 each unless I can source a better price, so $83. I still think that isn't too bad of a deal.
BTW, on that link I posted there is some good info on pre-stretching Dyneema rigging... that will be important when I need to achieve the correct eye to eye lengths within +/- 1/8"