Considering buying a 1974 Catalina 22 that needs help

Jun 19, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Eustis
Just saw a Cat 22 for sale. It needs bottom paint. Keel is rusty .Top coat needs repair..no electrics, has 4 stroke Nissan.mast raising system. Dry but needs cosmetics Its a project I know. What should I look for? He's asking 3000 comes with sail but no covers

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Do you want a project or to sail? Lots of projects or Catalina 22' s out there-Seems like a lot for what you would be getting..
We have friends that bought a C22 and named it "JUSTABUCK" cuz that's what they spent for it.. :)

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
DO,

I have to agree with AL on this. Sometimes folks put cost before condition in their buying thought process.
Many times, they realize it was not their best decision making. A 1974 (44 yr. old) boat judging by the price, is not what I
would deem the best overall choice.

$3,000.00 is a cheap price however, you will discover many other issues that create other unseen projects & costs. I bought a "project" boat once because I liked the price however, I ended up paying a higher price in time, effort, & material.
I then swore to myself that I would NEVER go that route again. It took a full 2 years with very little time to sail.

Rather than just looking at the cheap price, upgrade your thinking to buying a better conditioned boat to enjoy now.
This is Just my personal opinion, happy hunting.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I agree with the others. You are going to have to shell out the bucks regardless. Spend it now on a better boat and go sailing.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
You can do better than that. I got a 73 c-22 with decent sails, fresh top and bottom paint, a running outboard, and an ugly trailer for $3700. Don’t get me wrong, it still needs work, but it was ready to sail the day I bought it.

Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
i agree with Justin and the others. Put that money towards a better boat that is ready to sail....there out there . I bought my 1980 with trailer...out board and went sailing that week...$2200 Three years later i still have the boat put money into her but sailing every year..learning more and more....it's pretty amazing how much you can do on your own and still have fun!