Registered users don't see ads

Considering buying a 1974 Catalina 22 that needs help

Discussion in 'Ask A Catalina Owner' started by DonStack, Jun 19, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. DonStack

DonStack

Joined Jun 19, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    Us Lake Eustis
    Just saw a Cat 22 for sale. It needs bottom paint. Keel is rusty .Top coat needs repair..no electrics, has 4 stroke Nissan.mast raising system. Dry but needs cosmetics Its a project I know. What should I look for? He's asking 3000 comes with sail but no covers

2. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    575 posts, 66 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    Do you want a project or to sail? Lots of projects or Catalina 22' s out there-Seems like a lot for what you would be getting..
    We have friends that bought a C22 and named it "JUSTABUCK" cuz that's what they spent for it.. :)

3. EditorC22NSA

EditorC22NSA

Joined Apr 21, 2015
    127 posts, 41 likes
    Catalina 22 Sport #15582
    US Indianapolis
    For starters, check out the Catalina 22 Buyer's Guide available at www.catalina22.org.

Alansails likes this.
  4. The Shadow Knows

The Shadow Knows

Joined Jun 10, 2017
    127 posts, 45 likes
    Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II
    US South Pasadena / Tampa Bay
    DO,

I have to agree with AL on this. Sometimes folks put cost before condition in their buying thought process.
    Many times, they realize it was not their best decision making. A 1974 (44 yr. old) boat judging by the price, is not what I
    would deem the best overall choice.

$3,000.00 is a cheap price however, you will discover many other issues that create other unseen projects & costs. I bought a "project" boat once because I liked the price however, I ended up paying a higher price in time, effort, & material.
    I then swore to myself that I would NEVER go that route again. It took a full 2 years with very little time to sail.

Rather than just looking at the cheap price, upgrade your thinking to buying a better conditioned boat to enjoy now.
    This is Just my personal opinion, happy hunting.

Alansails likes this.
  5. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,689 posts, 728 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    I agree with the others. You are going to have to shell out the bucks regardless. Spend it now on a better boat and go sailing.

6. gdudik

gdudik

Joined Oct 25, 2017
    52 posts, 42 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Vancouver, WA
    You can do better than that. I got a 73 c-22 with decent sails, fresh top and bottom paint, a running outboard, and an ugly trailer for $3700. Don’t get me wrong, it still needs work, but it was ready to sail the day I bought it.

7. mark rocco

mark rocco

Joined Apr 3, 2015
    53 posts, 3 likes
    catalina catalina 22
    US Carolina beach NC
    i agree with Justin and the others. Put that money towards a better boat that is ready to sail....there out there . I bought my 1980 with trailer...out board and went sailing that week...$2200 Three years later i still have the boat put money into her but sailing every year..learning more and more....it's pretty amazing how much you can do on your own and still have fun!

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.