Considering a Hunter 280

Jul 14, 2018
Hunter 280 Texas
Aspiring Hunter 280 owner. I'm in the midst of a negotiation and the only issue that comes up is that the AC trips the dock shorepower GFI. I can hook up shore power otherwise and no other electrical system seems to be affected. Looking at the shorepower inlet on the boat, there is a little area of melt around one of the prongs and I suspect there is a short when the AC tries to draw power (the compressor turns on and will pump cool air for a few seconds before tripping, so i dont think its a complete AC failure).

My question is: This is a 1996 model. The boat is otherwise a beautiful boat and great fit for the family. Is it reasonable to negotiate a $500-1000 allowance in the price and close or do i need to insist on full diagnosis of the problem? Dont want to be a painful buyer and it is a used boat after all, but also dont want to expose myself to ridiculous risk seeing as this is potentially my first boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Any melting and constant tripping is something to address. I'd get $1000 off, shore power parts can get pricey fast.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
No not for me, butI also have a father inlaw who retired as a marine electric engineer

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The standard options in cases such as this are to have the owner have it repaired by a qualified electrician or at least get an estimate, then renegotiate the price based on the estimate.
If you really want this boat, move quickly, you're really going to regret it if someone else comes along and buys it. Finally, you did get a survey, right?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Hunter 280 Texas
Yes I got a survey. The engine and rest of the electrical look good. Its a good boat overall. It is above the FMV the surveyor assigned it by about 15% but its countered by the fact the owner replaced all running rigging, kept good cosmetic care, and the boat is at the club I already belong to and I even like the slip so I dont have to haul and transport it. Given the fact the AC comes on, the compressor starts, and then trips the shore power makes me think there is something in the raw water line and relatively straight forward to repair.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
.,,Given the fact the AC comes on, the compressor starts, and then trips the shore power makes me think there is something in the raw water line and relatively straight forward to repair.
Sounds like the only way to find out for sure is to buy the boat and then repair it. You’ll find out soon enough if you were right.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
With all the pluses I gotta agree with Kermit. I wouldn't want to lose it over what could be minor fix but would go in knowing it may cost me a new AC unit.

Dont want to be a painful buyer
If you mean a pain to current owner, don't worry about that. While your lucky to find a boat for sale in your club, he is lucky to find a buyer in his club. That is a wash. Ask around. How long has it been on the market? Is he advertising just in the club? Why is he selling it?

In any case, good luck.