Considering a Catalina 30

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The Catalina 30 is a great family boat: large cockpit, broadish beam. When I was looking at boats in the mid 20's LOA, many years go in Maine, the broker took one look at my four hulking children and said, "What you need is a Catalina 30." Turned out to be a great recommendation.

Efrain

Jun 27, 2017
Catalina 30 MXII Fajardo
I have a Catalina 30 MKII 1991, it is an excellent boat, very spacious inside, well distributed, comfortable in the cokpit, navigates well, easy to maintain. Currently I have it in moored at the marina Sea Lovers Fajardo, Puerto Rico. It is strong and feels safe even in winds of 30 knots and waves of 6 feet in height. It is very good for those who are in transition from the 20's to the +35. Worth what it costs. I have sailed it by the caribbean and it is a good weekener. If I had time, I would consider making a long voyage around the Atlantic.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Check the rigging on the older boats (20 - 25 years +). I had a 1977 C30, was dismasted last year when a lower stay let go (corrosion inside the turnbuckle). I would recommend replacing the rigging on these (all) older boats. Just something to keep in mind.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I have a 1976 Catalina 30 in St. Croix, USVI. Takes me anywhere I want to go and also race her. Here you only need a 125% genoa on a furler. I have a custom made Main with a longer hoist and foot. Also with more roach. She is well balanced and with one reef, I have raced her with winds gusting a littl over 30 knots. No engine, shaft, strut, mounts. 15 hp outboard for the few minutes I ran her. Very good boat. Only wish that the companion way was smaller.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Come to St Croix and we can compare my hull # 364 against yours. I went to Puert del Rey with stops in Culebra and back via STT & BVI.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I hope you pulled the trigger and are getting the opportunity to sit and sail on your new boat.
Hate to see a CAL owner leave the fold, but the Catalina 30 is a great boat.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 MKII Mandeville, LA
As others have noted, there are a LOT of C30's around, so you have fertile ground to peruse AND you can afford to shop around.

Not sure where you are, but we had to look elsewhere to find boats that were priced reasonably for their condition. We found some nice one on Texas lakes, but really didn't want to add $5,000 to the selling price to get it to the ocean.

Houston, Galveston, etc - all too highly priced for boat and equipment. People asking unrealistic prices for boats in sad condition. (Like the one with the green sails you mention)

We finally drove a little farther to a better hunting ground - lake Ponchartrain. We found several C30's there - even though we were originally looking for a Hunter 33 and other mid-30 foot boats. Frankly, the C30 MKII has more interior room than many larger boats

Ours was especially well-equipped with radar, Raymarine MFD, depth, speed, pedestal steering, autopilot, A/C - and it was clean and we'll kept. (It's a '92 BTW)

Kicker was that the area has a lot of bargains. This boat was originally listed for $29k, but recently lowered to $24k, and the seller's broker hinted that he'd take $21k.

We did a little sleuthing as well as perform our own "survey" checking all the likely suspects. (Thanks Don Casey!) And made an offer of $19k which was immediately accepted.

On that note, we should have started even lower, perhaps $17k. There are ALWAYS more repairs needed than you think!

Anyway, as others have pointed out, C30'S are hardly "rare" - so shopping around patiently will likely find you ones that are in better condition, later model with many early bugs fixed, and likely a "motivated" seller who is getting tired of paying slip fees and insurance.

Relax. Shop around. Be patient. You'll find better and better boats. Look to see how long they been on the market. Don't be afraid to make a low offer. Haggle.

Aug 20, 2009
Catalina C30 Oakville
Hey Roadking Larry, checkout facebook C30 group as well. But I 2nd the heal thing.. a C30 heals.. in more than 15knots you are 20deg over.. but its safe and stable.. but if you want to keep it flat.. that will depend on how you sail.. keep it reefed or spill lots of wind.. its up to you.. but a C30 is not a very flat boat - at least a shoal or wing keel.

James

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I have a tall rig and have no problem keeping it on her feet.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'll respectfully disagree with BikerBob. A C-30 sails best (VMG) at under/around 15 degrees of heel, maybe up to 20 on a reach. It's a beamy boat, any boat that's beamy hits a wall when you bury the rail. I've done it because it's fun, but it's not fast or optimal. I'll reef the main at 15 or so. I'll also flatten stuff out as necessary. The C-30 is not a tender boat in the slightest - I'd say it's stiffer than many of it's contemporaries. Once you get over about 5 degrees that big fat hull section is in the water and it stiffens up pretty well. 4K lbs of ballast is also up there for a 30 footer.

If you've got a C-30 that always sails on it's ear, you either have really blown out sails or poor trim. Mine is definitely happiest at 15 degrees or so.

StoryTime: So last trip to Catalina, it was blowin 20's + easy. (Lots for SoCal) Wind dead on the nose, of course. Reefed main, full 135. (135 is old and crap, main is new). Maybe 20 deg heel max. It was also big swells right on the nose. Yup, it was huuuuge. About every 9 swells or so the bow, the anchor, etc.. would make like a submarine into the next swell stopping us dead. Shoulda turned back, but the boat handled it just fine. Oh, and a benefit is it's a pretty dry boat in all but slogging upwind in big swells (for a 30 footer). Ended up motoring 'cause were were never gonna get there slogging uphill but that's kinda normal for the trip over.

Now if you take a boat like a Columbia 5.5, it goes great at 25 degrees or so of heel, but that gets a bit uncomfortable for long periods. And you'd be soaked in anything but glasslike conditions.

The A4 is a great way to get a good boat dirt cheap. Nothing wrong with an A4 'cept for it drinketh the fuel compared to the diesel. Oh, and you'll have to sell it for cheap if you sell the boat. (I've got the A4, and range has been a problem for me before. But it's braindead simple to work on and it's just as safe as any powerboat that's gas powered.)

Everything else is like all boats - standing rigging, where the mast connects to the keel (or deck, but the block in a C-30 is on the keel) They made over 7000 of these things, they're great boats and there's plenty for sale everywhere. There's 4 C-30s on my dock alone in Dana Point. (And a C-309 which is a sibling of sorts)