Compression post design flaw

May 5, 2015
Hunter 34 Vancouver
Have this flaw leaking water into my Hunter34. Does anyone know a boat wright in Vancouver, bc who can repair it? Can an owner do it himself?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Have this flaw leaking water into my Hunter34. Does anyone know a boat wright in Vancouver, bc who can repair it? Can an owner do it himself?
With as many details as possible and a few pictures, there are enough H34 owners here to have not only seen your problem, but I'll wager a few have also repaired the flaw.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Quite a number of us have done it ourselves. If you navigate to Boat Info>>Hunter Owner Modifications>>34 (53) or the following link

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=267&cat_id=31&page=model&mn=34

you will see three successful repairs by Barry Olsen, Allan Hadad (me) and Ian.

Mine was one of the first and admittedly is a monument to over engineering. The solution is much simpler with a solid block the same thickness as the gap between the top of the post and the underside of the deck. Don't use wood any longer. You should still pull the mast and reseal the stand pipe that is inside the mast providing a conduit for wire passage. Also, search compression post repair and you will see other methods of DIY remediation on this issue.

May 5, 2015
Hunter 34 Vancouver
Gratitude

Quite a number of us have done it ourselves. If you navigate to Boat Info>>Hunter Owner Modifications>>34 (53) or the following link

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=267&cat_id=31&page=model&mn=34

you will see three successful repairs by Barry Olsen, Allan Hadad (me) and Ian.

Mine was one of the first and admittedly is a monument to over engineering. The solution is much simpler with a solid block the same thickness as the gap between the top of the post and the underside of the deck. Don't use wood any longer. You should still pull the mast and reseal the stand pipe that is inside the mast providing a conduit for wire passage. Also, search compression post repair and you will see other methods of DIY remediation on this issue.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Mine is also a monument to over-engineering but I'm glad I did it this way as it has provided me with ease of mind over the last 10000 miles since I did it. Always planned to post it in owners mods but never did so here it is.

Attachments

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Mine is also a monument to over-engineering but I'm glad I did it this way as it has provided me with ease of mind over the last 10000 miles since I did it. Always planned to post it in owners mods but never did so here it is.
Very impressive, and highly over engineered [grin]. Quick question: I always thought that the source of the Hunter compression post failures was a poorly made base. Did you do anything to beef up the base? I thought I read a thread somewhere where someone drilled a few holes in the base and filled it up with epoxy to beef it up, then installed a new post.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I did mine from inside using a big aluminum block where I removed the wood from the beam. I had a very slight problem with my post which I re-used and no problem with the base beam down by the keel. My fix is 5 years old now and doing fine.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Absolutely .............................

....................... first class write up.

Who was your producer ? How much seed money were you able to raise ?

A logical progression with plenty of photos and endless details. If I didn't have a polished SS compression post, that's the instructional I would use to repair the beast.

Dec 14, 2003
Very impressive, and highly over engineered [grin]. Quick question: I always thought that the source of the Hunter compression post failures was a poorly made base. Did you do anything to beef up the base? I thought I read a thread somewhere where someone drilled a few holes in the base and filled it up with epoxy to beef it up, then installed a new post.
Thanks for the nice comments. No problem with the base on my boat so I did not beef it up. The aluminum block that I installed in the traverse beam spreads the load correctly now and of course the 2" X 2" SS compression post keeps it in place. Like Kloudie, the support area at the bottom of the post was solid enough that I did not have to do anything to it. For good measure I fabricated a small base so that the square tubing does not rest squarely on the fiberglass..

Dec 14, 2003
....................... first class write up.

Who was your producer ? How much seed money were you able to raise ?

A logical progression with plenty of photos and endless details. If I didn't have a polished SS compression post, that's the instructional I would use to repair the beast.
Self-produced :D Seed money :eek: Now I know what I forgot :bang:
Thanks for the comments.