Compost Toilet

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
I have a 2008 Capri 22. Has anyone had any experience with installing a compost toilet- to replace the porto-potti. If so, can you give me some advice? Thanks.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Use forum search for compost and you will find 55 references

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
On a 22' boat you might like this idea better...especially since it'll cost you a LOT less than a "composter" and you already know it'll fit your space: An "MSD" portapotty.
The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it. A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie
--Peggie

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
Juradog: I'm new to boats, but am familiar with composting toilets for remote travels.

The primary requirement for an effective composting toilet is to keep the urine separate. (Easy to do if you're a guy, but if there's a lady admiral she could use a "Jane" cup for her to do her number 1.)

When you first put in the tray, you just put a 1/2" layer of coconut husk (or whatever you want to use) then sprinkle more over the top when you make a solid.

The other thing is to have air passing through it to dry it out and get rid of gasses produced as it composts. It only requires a small fan (like a computer fan) but it should run 24 hours. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems it would be easy to rig up a flexible pipe and 12V computer fan to vent the portapotty waste bin. To save energy, what I think would be really clever is to use a solar vent on the end of it for during daylight, but then hook up a light sensor to turn on the computer fan at night. (BTW, 90% of poop is actually liquid, so you'd be surprised how long you can go without having to empty it.)

I know it all sounds crazy and hobbled together, but I think you could rig something up for really cheap if you didn't want to pay the $1K for the composting toilet system.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
If you don't go with the MSD porta potty, and want a composter, check out the C-head. Practical, less expensive than the other 2 common brands, and the thing just works. We put one on our Seaward 25 a couple of years ago and are very happy with it. No need for fans and active venting. We passively vent ours, but you may find that a vent is unnecessary.