Companionway Maintenance

p369

Jan 13, 2016
Hunter 260 Charleston
Hello All,

Has anyone had any luck or experience with replacing the wood strips around the companionway of the H260 (or similar boats)?

While looking for a leak, I found that the wooden strip in the very rear or the companionway needed to be replaced due to the sealant wearing off and weather damage to the wood itself. I also found stress cracks in the fiberglass around the companionway (under the area where the plexiglass/lexan slides back and the hatch lifts up. I'll try to take some pictures in the future to be a little bit more clear.

I'm currently trying to build a replacement out of starboard for the weathered wooden strip. Any tips for companionway maintenance? Are these parts still available from Hunter?

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I replaced mine on My H27 last spring, the originals were badly cracked and weathered. I used the originals as a pattern and made the new ones out of Meranti. I'm partial to wood trim despite the maintenance to keep it looking good. One of the reasons for the splits in the original trim pieces was that the screws were placed too close to the edge of the wood and were much larger than need be. Simple solution was a little wider trim piece and smaller diameter screw.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
P369
It is important that any strip is the entire length of the lexan and sealed to the lexan with a good silicon that I use to buy from W M as it was made by an excellent company and known for adhesion. Also, add silicon to the screw areas as well to include the screw threads as well. In addition to being a stopper so the lexan slider will not come out, it prevents water from pooling goingand dripping over into the cabin floor. If you have any further questions, send me an email via forum with a phone number which is kept confidential and I will call if you like.

Crazy Dave