Cold Weather on Gulf

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is unusual cold snap here that presents a new Hazard to Sailing.
Just like Mark Twain noted is his book of travels..

"The Captain had been telling how, in one of his Arctic voyages, it was so cold that the mate's shadow froze fast to the deck and had to be ripped loose by main strength. And even then he got only about two-thirds of it back."
- Following the Equator

cold2.jpg

_______

2nd hazard.
Don't lick the boom.
Jim...

PS: 14°F outside now:yikes:

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
14°F outside now:yikes:
You KNOW what the "F" stands for! Interesting that you guys are the same temperature as us in the frozen north. Pretty soon, you'll be taking the boats up in the winter, and spending your time reading sailing forums.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If it wasn't Mardi Gras season, I would be sailing.:p
Since you're not using your boat this weekend, Jim ... I could catch a cheap flight and take her out for you. Just so she's not lonely. Our high this weekend will be about 40, so the snow will melt, but my deck is a good ten feet in the air and covered.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Does that paddle wheel turn
Of course!:)

Mardi Gras is a fun time for all.
BTW this Krewe is an All Woman Krewe. Us guys just help when needed.
BTW I designed and built the building housing [seen in background of Pict] some 20 Floats that are changed each year. This is the newest float.
Jim...

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
does her Krewe throw little anchors to the waiting crowds instead of beads?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
little anchors to the waiting crowds instead of beads
No anchors! But this year's theme is...
"A Stroll through Mississippi"
Thus the Paddle Wheeler Float. Special throws will be..
1) Magnolia blossoms
2) Hand Decorated Sea shells
3) Little toy Mermaids
4) Stuffed toy animals
5) Specialty Beads

Y'all Come..
Jim...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
OMG, it's a balmy 26 F out. It seems as though Oaxaca weather has followed me home. I LOVE IT! I missed all that sub zero weather. It's almost like Summer outside. My chickens are still in shock from the earlier weather. Only the turkey will even look out the door. None of the ducks or chickens will believe him when he tells them its warm out.
Who dat? I would love to join you at Mardi Gras, JamesG. I've never been. My wife and I have often come down for Jazz Fest though. However, our trip to Mexico has lead my wife to the desire to go back down in November for Dias de Los Muertos, so I think our travel money is running out. Plus, she's got plans for Scotland in August and is also talking about Thaland. I think NOLA will have to get by without us for a couple of years:(.
By the way, very nice work.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good looking boat Jim.
Did you install the “Krewe Heater Vents” so the ladies do not freeze?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
ladies do not freeze
Equipped with the most important Item, for the 18 Ladies, sipping beverages for 4 hours, dressed in warm costumes, on a that Paddle Wheeler, waving and throwing stuff in a River of Happy People IS...

[ And now break from our Sponsor SBO shops , where you can find Paddle Wheel bearings, Smoke Stack Repair supplies, upper deck Railing paints, Gang Plank ropes]:)

Jim...

PS: Take a guess what the important item is?:pimp:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
By the way, very nice work.
They take great pride it their floats. Look at the level of details, Magnolia Blossom Painting on the upper deck, lighting, Cleats, Ropes, etc on that float.
Way cool.:clap:

Mardi Gras is almost a continuing 4 week celebration from Mobile AL to New Orleans LA the focus on Groups of people joining together, really as Social Clubs for year round get-togethers. Not mentioning other small community parades.
Jim...

PS: If you come, make it a week vacation, which it is.:)

Oct 22, 2014
Oh no Will. We are talking about Mississippi Ladies... 4 hours of sipping beverages.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
18 Ladies
Especially TRUE since my Admiral is a top Officer in the Krewe. She rides on the "Officer's Float", not shown.

However, I was referring a special item for THEIR comfort!
No Guesses?
Jim...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Jim you mean to share that you wisely built a ladies sitting room aboard the “Magnolia Queen”?
You are a clever and wise man.