Cockpit table

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
Is the hole that the cockpit table pole mounts in on H26 supposed to have a cover to keep water out of hole? Or has someone built something that covers it thanks jimmy

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
My H23.5 came with a black plastic cover that inserts into the hole. I've never noticed how well it keeps water out during the summer. For the winter I Jam a square peg of Styrofoam into the hole hoping that reduces the pressure caused by Ice freezing in there.

Mar 23, 2016
Hunter 26 MN
The trim piece for the hole on mine broke. I printed a new one with our 3d printer. I was going to design and print a cover/plug too. I was also wondering if it came with anything originally and what that piece looked like.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
My boat is buried in snow 90 minutes away so I can't take a picture. I probably won't be there until June.

It looks a lot like a trailer hitch receiver cover, such as this one found randomly:

Nov 12, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Harbor Town: Lake Allatoona
You are correct in assuming it seems similar to a trailer hitch cover... mine is IN FACT a 2” trailer hitch receiver cover. Reese brand in case you want one like mine! Fits just fine and has kept water well enough out of the hole.

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
if Jimmy is still up for printing a full cover, i'd be interested in buying one. something that actualyl keeps all the water out would make me more comfortable as water has worked behind the gel coat, but not into the fiberglass

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bra trumps hit it on the nail head with a cover I use to put on and no Hunter did not supply any covers originally

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
Hello Dave! I've read a ton of your expert replies, thanks!

I did this with the trailer hitch plug, 2 pack for $8 on amazon. Great solution BUT it doesn't really keep all the water out at all. I'd have to seal the plastic square trim, but i'd like it to easily come out to use the table when I want, but would love to keep this hole completely dry.

I also have a similar issue with my gas locker lid being waterlogged because the handle relief collects water and during freeze/thaw cycles its cracked the gelcoat and now the whole thing is full of water. I'll be drilling a drain hole through the relief and epoxying, then drilling a hole through the middle of the epoxy once it dries out, so the handle will always drain.

Had it outside in the sun for a few days and in a small room with a de-humidifier over night. These seem to be the only 2 places on my boat that catch water in a way that worries me and is causing damage.