Cockpit speakers OK with owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Gene, if you can't hear it unless....

..you're standing on my swim platform, what's wrong with playing my music on my boat...through speakers and not through head-phones? I've read through this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything from anyone advocating entertaining an entire anchorage, or even the next boat...only themselves. If your demand for absolute quiet were to be met, there'd be no laughter (it carries over water), which eliminates any swimming at all (all that noisy splashing!)...or any conversation at all above a whisper 'cuz voices carry over water too. Lighten up!! It's one thing to hear blaring speakers, loud voices and raucus laughter, and especially annoying late at night...but boating is supposed to be fun...recreation, and social. Anchorages aren't libraries, for heaven's sake! A faint occasional note or two of someone else's music isn't gonna ruin most people's day...but if YOU must have absolute total quiet, the only thing I can suggest is: stay away from other boats...pick an empty anchorage and anchor as late as possible each day to reduce the odds that any other boat will come into it. Boy...do I feel better now!

P

No...and yes. :)

Sound must be heard...but a man is always wrong! :))))))))))) (Feets don't fail me now................................................................)

B

Bruce

zigzag61

Re: Cockpit speakers / sleep While I am not yet a sailboat sleeper, I can recommend that those who have trouble sleeping while moored near noisy neighbours get a box of disposable ear plugs. I use them anywhere (powerboating, seadoo, air travel, dozing on long drives) that noise threatens my hearing or sleep. My wife uses them to avoid my alleged snoring. Get a box and get peace of mind.

P

Paul Akers

Arches & Speakers <grin>

Let's take it a step further since everyone is piping in their 2 cents <grin>. If you picture all of the hunter arches with speakers mounted within them, then we have a HUGE set of headphones for all of these boat. Now play them as loud as you want - BECAUSE THEY ARE HEADPHONES - and won't bother anybody. :) Did you ever ride on public transportation with some person beside you blasting their headphones while you are trying to read? It's the same as blasting music in an anchorage - annoying. :) You gotta be considerate!

S

Steve O.

moderation is the key

My rule is "everything in moderation, including moderation." There's a big difference between someone calmly enjoying some music on their boat, and blasting the surrounding area. And know when its time to turn it down, by 10:00 pm, 11:00 tops. I agree with the post about halyards, too. Some people show up at the marina, go daysailing, and leave for their nice cozy waterbed at home, leaving their halyards clanging to keep the rest of us up all night. AND I STILL HATE THE CIGARETTE BOATS WITH NO MUFFLERS THAT FIRE UP THE ENGINES AT 6:00 AM!

A

Ace Hardware

Don't You Sail or anchor alone???

Where I sail and anchor no one can hear my speakers. Don't the rest of you ever sail or anchor in isolated bays?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Ace, What's an 'Isolated Bay"?

I sail in SoCal. That is an alien term... :)

G

Gene B, s/v Paradigm

Perfect Responses

Well, Phil, we got the responses I predicted... If you're having a good time making noise, and I don't like it, then a) there's something wrong with me, b) I should go somewhere else, c) I should buy earplugs. Your office mate is a chain smoker. Since he likes it, then a) you should smoke, too, b) get a job somewhere else, c) buy an oxygen tank. Your neighbor likes to shoot guns in the neighborhood. You object, so a) buy your own gun, b) move somewhere else, c) wear a flak jacket. You can have as much fun as you want as long as it doesn't impose on others. Unfortunately, people's attitudes today are that their desire to do whatever they want takes precedence over anyone else's rights. Of course, the next respone will be, "music isn't in the same category as bullets." But while the examples above are exaggerations, they illustrate exactly the same attitude, and it's the attitude that is so sad here. Any activity that could infringe on the right of others to be left alone should be contained. And, no, this can't be dismissed with a patronizing, "lighten up." There is nothing cute about boorish self-indulgence and contempt for others.

P

I disagree with your assessment, Gene...

Although I do agree that this group is clearly divided into two polarized factions--those who believe that others have no right to dictate how they enjoy (but WITH consideration for others) their own boats, and those who believe they do have that right, I see no evidence in any of the posts to this thread of any of the "I'll do whatever I want, to hell with you" attitude that does indeed seem to pervade in our society today. But what I DO see is another attitude that also pervades our society today: the need in some people to control other people's lives--"if I wouldn't do it, you have no right to do it either"--which is really only the flip side of "my way, to hell with you."...or to borrow one of your analogies: "my office mate smokes...I don't...therefore, he has no right to do so, even in designated smoking areas outside the building...and I'm working toward legislation that prevents him from even doing so in his own home."

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I think Peggy is on "Testosterone"

Peggy: You have hit the nail on the head (again). Two posts on this thread and I am not sure you are done yet. I must agree that we quite often do not like what everyone does. We need to have tolerance. It is too bad that everyone does not like the same things in life. We could have the Stepford worlds. The sailors would go to bays where only they were. When they wanted to play load music they would, when they wanted Jimmy Buffet they would do that and on and on. Forturnately this is not the way it is. Different cultures, ideas, habits etc. Diversity makes life interesting. If everyone would just think about what they are doing and how it affects people around them this would be a much better place to live. But we really do not need total silence at anchor (do we?). My vote for silence is to stay home with the windows closed, drapes drawn, no TV or Radio and send the wife and kids on a vacation with you. Think about your neighbor before you turn up the stereo "TOO" loud.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Time For Bed...

..the truth is that most captains and crews are considerate of other people's sensitivities and peace. And, if it is a problem, most will graciously correct whatever they are doing that interfears with what you are trying to do. And, as a last resort, there is always mutual peer pressure and/or harbor patrol. As a matter of fact, homeowner associations work about the same way. It's called democracy in some quarters...RD

P

Paul Akers

Start this again? Generators! :)

What about the guy who has the external generator and runs it all day to watch the soap operas? :)

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Rick an Isolated Bay is . . . .

Ah, S. Cal. Yep you've got a problem. Last time I sailed 30 miles one way, saw only two other sailboats and anchored two out of the three nights without another boat in site. Eat your heart out. No income tax either <grin>. But you do have my sympathy.

P

Nope...estrogen...

But the effect can be about the same. :) I don't think this is a "power vs. sail" issue...as a stinkpotter, I've spent time with both sailors and other stinkpotters and found equally annoying--and equally enjoyable--people in both groups. I'm going back to diagnosing cranky toilets now...it's safer! :)

P

Generator noise...

I've found that tolerance for generator noise increases dramatically when it's coming from the only boat in the anchorage that has an icemaker and a blender--and is willing to share--on a 90 degree + day. :)

W

Warren Blanchard

Replacement Seaworthy Speakers

As to where to get replacement Seaworthy speakers, Florida Yacht Charters had no problems getting them for me even though I couldn't find them in any catalog. Just call them at 1-800-537-0050 and wait for the Service Department prompt. I'm sure Mary will be glad to tell you where she orders theirs, but don't ask her to order them for you. They have at least a 200% markup.

G

Gene B.

Reductio ad absurdum

It has been suggested that exercising self-restraint in public so as to not impose one's self on others is intolerable, since it must inexorably lead to government regulation of acts in one's home. This, of course, is nonsense. The argument is an attempt to use a technique known as "reductio ad absurdum," but it is here applied both ineptly and inaptly. The suggestion that the burden is on the non-intrusive public to pack up and avoid practitioners of selfish and boorish behavior is the point of view that is intolerable. What we are talking about is good manners and respect for others. You can listen to music at home, in your car, or with earphones, and any number of other ways that is non-intrusive. Why do you have to impose it in public places whose main appeal is natural grandeur? But there are some people who consider that any curtailment of their pleasure, anytime or anywhere, out of respect for others is anathema. The strident, illogical argument that regulation of their intrusive behavior is, itself, intrusive, is the last defense of the selfish and inconsiderate. That attitude, normally outgrown after childhood, does not need a latin name. It's called rudeness.

C

Civitas

Please, moderate

This discussion has become far more polarized than the issue deserves. I suspect most of us can resolve such problems politely when actually on the water .. or at least, we could do so prior to faceless Internet dialogue causing the music players to crank up their stereos a notch or two and us "quiet and solitude" types to become hypersensitive to every creak coming from the boat next to us. What I urge is this: worry less about getting the words right, and worry more about neighborliness on the water. If other boats are around, turn the volume down a notch instead of up. If your neighbor's music annoys, perhaps try tolerating it until you are going to bed; most likely, he'll turn it off by then. If you got a loud generator, ask the gal next to you if she needs a little ice. She'll probably bring the limes and rum. And Peggie, your young relatives are more than welcome to come jump off my boat.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Darn Dakota Jim, Confusing Again..

..with these strange terms for us SoCal's. I think I now understand 'Isolated Bay'. It is someplace in the midwest where there are fewer than 100 boats that are further than 10' from each other. And, I think 'anchoring' must be using that pointy thing in the bow when the bay lacks slips and mooring balls. But, Jim, what on earth is 'no income tax'??? And, can you play your arch speakers in an isolated bay? :) Rick D.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Rick: Sorry, meant to say No State Income Tax

You're close on the rest. Actually we have about 25 sailboats in 250 miles of sailing. We've only sailed 110 miles of it because of a bridge. We've threatened to take a hack saw to the bridge and chop out a little notch so the mast could go through, but. . . . Our docks are really quality stuff coming out of Atlantic Meeco (saw same being installed in San Diego this last spring). An playing arch speakers in an isolated bay is like taking a fine wine to Napa Valley. We generally listen to the cayotes and watch for deer, antelope and other boats before they catch us skinny dipping. <grin> We go the Caribbean periodically for a "salty sailing fix" however.

Status
Not open for further replies.