Cockpit leak

flando

Jan 3, 2017
Catalina 28 Oneida Lake
After repeatedly finding water under my aft berth cushions I decided to track down the origin of the leak. As it turns out it is an overhead leak originating at the base of the Edson pedestal as well as the emergency tiller cover plate on to the ceiling of the berth and down behind the back wall. I fear that the fix could be a daunting job for someone like myself. Does anyone have any experience with the same problem? The boat is a Catalina 28.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Some later model Catalinas (2000's) have an access panel on the cockpit floor behind the pedestal which covers the steering quadrant. These are supposed to drain but have been problematic, if you have such a panel check under it and you'll find where the water is coming from.
Most Cats have the quadrant located on the overhead inside the aft berth covered by screwed in plastic panels molded in a "transmission hump" configuration to cover wires and quadrant. These have everything passing thru an opening covered by the pedestal base, leaks are less common as the base is usually firmly bedded and bolted.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
If you look on the Catalina28 Yahoo website there was a long discussion on sources and fixes for leaks in the aft section
Peterbud
Cat 28