Clipper Race fiasco

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What's with the net like thing on the forestay?
Offshore boats will hoist that as a replacement for their jib when sailing down wind. It helps keep the asymmetrical spinnaker from getting tangled inside the forestay when gybing.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
With all the smart tech being developed for cars to drive themselves, Google global mapping, gps and satellite imaging, a shoal anywhere in the world could potentially be warned about in nano-seconds. That, of course, doesn't mean it is available or being used now.
The tracking systems being used are first rate, the auto-vicinity alarm systems are not there yet.
Since all this tech is relatively new and racers have been not running aground for centuries before now, I'm interested in reading about why Greenings ran aground. It looks like all navigation, today, takes place below deck. Maybe this is a wake-up call to poke your head outside once in a while.
-Will (Dragonfly)
I understand from a sailing friend that Garmin did have an alert alarm some time back but discontinued supporting it probably because of accuracy, and perhaps concern over liability issues due to inaccuracies. I'm also very interested in the forward looking sonar for these purposes.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I understand from a sailing friend that Garmin did have an alert alarm some time back but discontinued supporting it probably because of accuracy, and perhaps concern over liability issues due to inaccuracies. I'm also very interested in the forward looking sonar for these purposes.
Sadly enough, all the VOR65 boats have Adrena SW on board, which they use for weather routing. A favorite of solo racers and loaded with alarms for such things. But they use expedition for navigation.