Classic Plastic: Philip Rhodes 41' Rhodes Reliant.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Rhodes was a prolific designer. A 50+ year career, he was one of pioneers of the wood to fiberglass era of boat design and building. His first Rhodes Reliant was built in 1963 at Cheoy Lee shipyards HK.

Something is different about the Reliant. Is it a center-cockpit, aft cockpit? Am I seeing two dodgers? Read on:

Rhodes Reliant  (1 of 1).jpg

Particularly interesting (to me), the Reliant was designed as much as a wooden boat of the times, using the new space age material - fiberglass, to make a better boat.

Did Rhodes achieve that goal? It appears so. The 44 Reliants built are now almost all in their 50's. I don't know how many survive but the glass hulls are still strong (as far as I know), whereas a wooden hull -of the same vintage- would likely have undergone serious structural rebuilding by now, or be scrapped.

I know very little about the Rhodes Reliant, except; the heavily built (thick-overly) hulls were then finished in wooden decks and houses at Cheoy Lee.

Rhodes Reliant cockpit (1 of 1).jpg

While the appealing wooden construction is one reason these boats are popular today, that wood is also it's achilles heel(especially the decks). Neglected(wrong owners), wood doesn't last long. BUT, with the right skills, wood, is not a hard material to maintain.

It's nice to see this one so meticulously cared for by a local skilled boat yard in town.

Rhodes Reliant stern (1 of 1).jpg

The most unique feature of the Rhodes Reliant is the layout. Small by todays standards, t's a practical design in 41' for a boat that sails.

With a 12.6" beam, there is a roomy aft cabin with dual quarter berths. Rhodes must have designed his Reliant with being at sea, in mind. The off watch enjoyed comfortable dry berths with minimal motion, quietly closed off from the saloon.

And the active crew sailing the boat could access the saloon of the boat for shelter or meals, through a second - well protected - forward companionway. A terrible idea for a live-aboard, but a brilliant layout for being at sea.

Rhodes Reliant dual companionway (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Interesting double companionway construction, especially on a 41. The big Swans have double cockpits that do a good job of separating the unwashed crew from the guests. Although they don't do as good a job with sea berths for the crew like the Reliant41 did. Nice to see someone taking care of the old girl.