Choosing a Beginner Sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

As a power boater making the switch to sailing, is a 23.5 Hunter too much of a sailboat for a beginner?

M

Mike

Beginer Sail Boat

I now have a 96 H23.5 and think it is a great boat for weekending. We learned to sail with a Newport 17, a very forgiving boat and went to the H23.5 with no problems. It will heal quickly with the water balast, but will get quit stiff about 12 15 degrees. We have had ours for 3 years and love it. Very frendly boat. regards, Mike S/V sail La Vie Reading

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
No.

Jeff: We started with a H'25. In retrospect I would think about boats upto 30' for a beginner. It really depends on how and where you are going to use it. I would much rather be in a 30' boat on Lake Michigan when one of those nasty storms hits than on a smaller boat. There are a lot of pros and cons to having bigger or smaller boats. If you want to trailer, your max size is going to be about 25-26'. If you are going to keep it in the water then you can do just about anything you want. We spend a LOT of time aboard. Trying to put on your pants when there is 5'2" headroom gets old quickly. If you are really a beginner, then I would suggest you take some lessons and THEN buy the boat. Some of these schools have beginners classes on smaller boats and as you move up with their classes they also put you on bigger boats.

E

Ed

Consider Where You're Sailing

Jeff, You have to consider where your going to use the boat. Alton is not noted for big lakes and you may have trouble in any sailboat going around on the river since you need a good motor to head upstream. Hull speed on a 23.5 is roughly 6 knots. The current could easily have you running backwards. Trailering the 23.5 in Illinois may be a bit iffy since there is an 8ft width restriction on most roads other than interstate and class 1/class 2 highways. A 23.5 has an 8'4" beam. The 23.5 is a good boat for beginners and more experienced sailor alike. I do agreee that lessons are a good idea if you aren't used to sailing. Good luck

B

Bob Noble

I Love my 23.5

Jeff I made the switch from power boating to sailing with a 1986 23.5 wing keel and have no regrets so far. After lessons I’m now able to single-hand her on our 350-acre lake. It’s a very forgiving boat. There is ample room for “camping”, but I wouldn’t want to spend more then a weekend living aboard.

J

Jack Kelly

Bigger boats can be easier !

We have been sailing for 20 years. Started out with a Phantom (14" similar to a Sunfish)Went to a Catalina 14.2 dinghy and now we have a 1986 Hunter 23. Raising the mast can be a chore but once up - the rigging is easy and we find it quite forgiving and easier to maneuver. Sure it takes a little longer to stop but you just plan ahead... I think you'll love it!! Glad to hear you've seen the light and are becoming a sailor!! Jack.

H

Hayden Jones

I too was a power boater . I lost it in a

storm, collected the insurance and thought I was out of boating. The next summer my wife read an ad for sunset sails. "It would be romatic" she says and we were off on a 38 footer to watch the sun set and drink a little champagne. Ten minute out and I was hooked. I read everything I could find on sailing and bought my first boat... a shoal draft Montego 20. I made a lot of mistakes (like not turning into the wind when raising the sails) but kept asking questions. I soon realized I wanted a bigger boat but was limited by depth of water and the width of the canal she's docked in. Last year I found a '93 Hunter 23.5 and bought her the day I saw her. She's a bit tender (heels easily) but sails great. I still want a bigger boat but will need to move to the Chesapeake in order to sail her. I've taken three sailing courses and continue to make stupid mistakes (ran aground just last November trying to sail across a shallow shoal). Next year I hope to sail "Around Alone" the Delmarva peninsula (about 500 miles) in dep salt water, the Intercoastal, the Chesapeake, a canal and the Delaware River. Remember.... A power boater gets in his/her boat to go somewhere, the sailor, once on board is where he/she wants to be. Fair Winds Hayden

T

T-bone

23.5 Good but would like just a bit bigger

I bought my 240 1.5 yrs ago and love it to death. Its got the best of all boat amenities under 28'. I just find myself desiring a real place to hang out on, and as previously mentioned, the 23.5/240 is just not big enough to stand in and truly hang out on down under. If I could do over, I'd probably look for a used boat over 28' for this reason. Nevertheless, the 23.5 is affordable and gives you a little bit of everything which is what makes them so attractive. I think you'll really enjoy her.

M

Mike

Go for it

I did have a 19 ft power boat and then I went sailing with a friend, I now have a 1994 23.5 and love it. I sail in lake Michigan out of ST. Joe Mi. The boat handles the big lake ,about the worst weather I have been in has been 20 knot winds with 6 ft waves,I would not want much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.