Chipped rudder repair

Jul 20, 2018
Catalina Capri 18 Everett, WA
The trailing edge of my rudder has been chipped. I assume it is from a propeller strike.
What is the recommended fix for this?
My thought was to sand this crack down and then gelcoat over the whole wounded edge.
However, it got me thinking about the exposed plywood core that runs around the whole edge. There must be something covering this to protect it and I might as well reapply whatever that is.
What is it?
My apologies if these are obvious questions, very new to sailboat ownership.
Nate

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Nate. Welcome to the Forum. I sailed a Capri 18 many years ago. Fun boat.
Regarding your repair. You will get many answers. You are then challenged as to how you want to fix your boat. Personally that is what I love about this forum. Lots of ideas, My decision.
Here is my two cents.
I try to protect all exposed wood from water. As I recalled my rudder was encapsulated in epoxy. So you might try a thin coat of epoxy on the exposed edge of of the rudder. My thought would be to run tape along the edge both sides. Full the space between the tape with some thickened epoxy. Remove the tape when cured then sand the epoxy to shape the finished edge. I would then cover the epoxy with a coat of matching colored gelcoat. The gelcoat will give the epoxy the needed UV protection. The epoxy will protect the wood from intrusion. If you are like me you likely do not leave the rudder hanging in the water when gone from the boat. So the repair/refinish should be strong and last forever, or as long as you own the boat.